History of the PARTISAN CAP
The military side cap, or forage cap, that Boris Puks gave to Ernest Brough in 1944 was part of the Yugoslav Partisan uniform. It was called the triglavka in Slovenian and the partizanka in Croatian. The design was copied from the cap worn by Republican faction soldiers during the Spanish Civil War. A feature of the Yugoslav Partisan cap was the red communist star on the front.
The first Yugoslav caps were made in 1941 in Zagreb for the communist People's Liberation Front of Croatia. In occupied Yugoslavia during World War II, this cap's use spread quickly throughout the Partisan resistance. The Slovenian triglavka, adopted in 1942, had a three-pronged ridge along its crown, representing Triglav mountain, Slovenia's highest peak. Puks's cap is a partizanka, so it has a flatter crown and a folded brim at the back.
In 1943, the partizanka and the triglavka were replaced by the titovka, or Tito cap, which was named after the Yugoslav communist resistance leader, Josip Broz Tito, and modelled on the Soviet army cap, the pilotka. After the war, the titovka became the official headwear of the Yugoslav People's Army, or JNA.