South Western Times

Abuse accused bail renewed

- DARYNA ZADVIRNA

A 58-year-old South West man appeared in court this week, accused of uploading child abuse material to Facebook and Yahoo.

Hugh Vincent Veldon appeared in Busselton Magistrate’s Court charged with three counts of using a carriage service to access child abuse material, and two counts of possessing child abuse material obtained using a carriage service.

Mr Veldon made no remarks and had his lawyer adjourn the matter until June so they could review the materials.

The magistrate renewed his bail, with strict reporting and living conditions.

Detectives from the Joint Anti Child Exploitati­on Team — which consists of Australian Federal Police and WA Police Force members — arrested the man last month after they allegedly linked him to the accounts uploading the content.

Officers raided the man’s Margaret River home on March 2 and allegedly found child abuse material on electronic devices.

The maximum penalty for these offences is 15 years imprisonme­nt.

The investigat­ion was launched after the AFP received a report from the US National Center for Missing and Exploited Children regarding an online user uploading child abuse material to Facebook and Yahoo.

AFP Acting Insp. Joel Van Den Brun said the case was a reminder the AFP was working closely with internatio­nal partners to combat the exploitati­on and abuse of children, including the online transmissi­on of footage and photograph­s of these crimes.

“Anyone who accesses or shares this material is complicit in the physical abuse of children, and we are committed to identifyin­g them and bringing them before the courts,” he said.

Members of the public who have any informatio­n about people involved in child abuse and exploitati­on are urged to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia