Gas leak forces residents inside
Cobram residents were advised to stay inside their homes on Friday morning after a gas main was ruptured.
Emergency services converged on the scene, which was not far from the town’s hospital.
A backhoe ruptured a large gas main in Charles St, which caused a gas leak.
Police were door knocking in the Broadway St and Charles St area at 9.40am, advising residents to stay indoors, close all windows and turn off any possible ignition sources.
Firefighters created fog lines due to the swirling winds which were pushing the gas towards the hospital. The fog lines helped disperse the gas.
The hospital was eventually evacuated as gas readings began to rise.
Four CFA trucks from Cobram, Numurkah, Yarroweyah and an operations car from District 22 were at the scene. The gas leak was deemed safe about 12.30pm.