Teen jailed over ram­page

Southern Telegraph - - CRIME -

A teenager who went on a drunken ram­page and stabbed a stranger five times af­ter his first night out at a pub has been sen­tenced to al­most four years be­hind bars over the “sav­age” at­tack.

Kye Wil­liam Cork, 18, and his friend By­ron Ed­ward started look­ing for a fight af­ter a four- hour drink­ing ses­sion at a Bal­divis pub in March last year.

The pair, who were armed with knives, ter­rorised cus­tomers at a nearby McDon­ald’s and chased four men down the street when they tried to get away from them.

Cork was tack­led by 17- year- old Hamish James when he lunged at a man with a but­ter­fly knife on Norse­man Ap­proach.

The pair tum­bled down an em­bank­ment be­fore Cork stabbed Mr James five times to the chest, rib, armpit and neck.

The stab­bing ended when one of Mr James’ friends knocked Cork un­con­scious with a spirit level.

Dis­trict Court Judge Pa­trick O’Neal de­scribed the at­tack as sav­age and sus­tained be­fore he jailed Cork for three years and 10 months.

Mr James was rushed to hos­pi­tal af­ter the stab­bing and had emer­gency surgery to drain blood from his left lung.

Be­fore he started ter­ror­is­ing Mr James and his friends, Cork shouted at a group of six peo­ple in the McDon­ald’s car park and made com­ments about fight­ing.

He jumped on the bon­net of a car and shat­tered the wind­screen with his foot when one man was try­ing to es­cape.

De­fence lawyer Sea­mus Raf­ferty said Cork had not been to a li­censed premises be­fore the night of the stab­bing.

He said his client could “not un­der­stand why he be­haved in the ut­terly ap­palling man­ner that he did”.

“It is an ex­plo­sive level of vi­o­lence against peo­ple who were sim­ply go­ing about their busi­ness on this par­tic­u­lar night,” he said.

“They should never have been treated in the way that they were.”

Ed­ward was ear­lier handed a

12- month in­ten­sive su­per­vi­sion or­der for threat­en­ing to kill and two counts of be­ing armed in a way that may cause fear.

Cork pleaded guilty to five charges, in­clud­ing do­ing griev­ous bod­ily harm with in­tent and en­dan­ger­ing the life, health of safety of an­other per­son.

He will be el­i­gi­ble for pa­role in De­cem­ber 2020.

A teenager ac­cused of throw­ing rocks at more than a dozen cars on the Kwinana Free­way has been granted su­per­vised bail, with a court told he plans to fight the al­le­ga­tions.

He was one of two 16- year- old boys, who can­not be named for le­gal rea­sons, who was ar­rested this month af­ter a po­lice dog tracked the pair down to a shed in Cock­burn.

It is al­leged the boys had been throw­ing rocks over a fence set up near north­bound road­works at Ber­ri­gan Drive, hit­ting more than a dozen cars and trucks along an 80km/ h sec­tion of the free­way.

One of the rocks smashed through the wind­screen of a Toy­ota Camry, hit­ting a front- seat pas­sen­ger in the chest.

The 55- year- old man was taken by am­bu­lance to hos­pi­tal with non- life threat­en­ing in­juries.

Both teenagers, who are each charged with 14 counts of com­mit­ting an un­law­ful act with in­tent to harm and 14 counts of crim­i­nal dam­age over the in­ci­dent, ap­peared in the Perth Chil­dren’s Court to­day.

One of the boys, from Wel­lard, who was al­ready on bail for se­ri­ous charges in­clud­ing ag­gra­vated rob­bery, com­mon as­sault and crim­i­nal dam­age, had been be­hind bars at Banksia Hill Ju­ve­nile De­ten­tion Cen­tre since his Jan­uary 4 ar­rest.

But the boy was re­leased af­ter his lawyer, So­phie Man­son- Grum­ley, ar­gued there were “ex­cep­tional cir­cum­stances” in his case.

Ms Man­son- Grum­ley said the boy had a “lim­ited record”, a sup­port­ive fam­ily and was en­rolled in a weld­ing course that started next month.

She said the boy de­nied throw­ing rocks, say­ing he ac­cepted he was “in the vicin­ity”, be­hind a build­ing, “but did not know what his co- ac­cused was do­ing”.

“He came around and saw what he was do­ing and told him to stop, at which point he says he saw po­lice lights,” she said.

The boy will also deny the rest of the al­le­ga­tions against him, Ms Man­son- Grum­ley said, which the court was told re­late to the al­leged vi­o­lent theft of a scooter from a 15- year- old.

Ms Man­son- Grum­ley said it was the boy’s first time in cus­tody and he was strug­gling.

While pros­e­cu­tors did not agree the boy’s cir­cum­stances were ex­cep­tional, Mag­is­trate Cather­ine Craw­ford de­cided to grant him su­per­vised bail, which in­cludes a re­quire­ment to abide by a cur­few and to leave his house only with an au­tho­rised adult.

The boy’s co- ac­cused, from Oak­ford, was re­leased into the care of child pro­tec­tion au­thor­i­ties at an ear­lier court hear­ing. He will ap­pear in court again on March 6 and the Wel­lard boy will ap­pear in court on Fe­bru­ary 27.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.