Teen jailed over rampage
A teenager who went on a drunken rampage and stabbed a stranger five times after his first night out at a pub has been sentenced to almost four years behind bars over the “savage” attack.
Kye William Cork, 18, and his friend Byron Edward started looking for a fight after a four- hour drinking session at a Baldivis pub in March last year.
The pair, who were armed with knives, terrorised customers at a nearby McDonald’s and chased four men down the street when they tried to get away from them.
Cork was tackled by 17- year- old Hamish James when he lunged at a man with a butterfly knife on Norseman Approach.
The pair tumbled down an embankment before Cork stabbed Mr James five times to the chest, rib, armpit and neck.
The stabbing ended when one of Mr James’ friends knocked Cork unconscious with a spirit level.
District Court Judge Patrick O’Neal described the attack as savage and sustained before he jailed Cork for three years and 10 months.
Mr James was rushed to hospital after the stabbing and had emergency surgery to drain blood from his left lung.
Before he started terrorising Mr James and his friends, Cork shouted at a group of six people in the McDonald’s car park and made comments about fighting.
He jumped on the bonnet of a car and shattered the windscreen with his foot when one man was trying to escape.
Defence lawyer Seamus Rafferty said Cork had not been to a licensed premises before the night of the stabbing.
He said his client could “not understand why he behaved in the utterly appalling manner that he did”.
“It is an explosive level of violence against people who were simply going about their business on this particular night,” he said.
“They should never have been treated in the way that they were.”
Edward was earlier handed a
12- month intensive supervision order for threatening to kill and two counts of being armed in a way that may cause fear.
Cork pleaded guilty to five charges, including doing grievous bodily harm with intent and endangering the life, health of safety of another person.
He will be eligible for parole in December 2020.
A teenager accused of throwing rocks at more than a dozen cars on the Kwinana Freeway has been granted supervised bail, with a court told he plans to fight the allegations.
He was one of two 16- year- old boys, who cannot be named for legal reasons, who was arrested this month after a police dog tracked the pair down to a shed in Cockburn.
It is alleged the boys had been throwing rocks over a fence set up near northbound roadworks at Berrigan Drive, hitting more than a dozen cars and trucks along an 80km/ h section of the freeway.
One of the rocks smashed through the windscreen of a Toyota Camry, hitting a front- seat passenger in the chest.
The 55- year- old man was taken by ambulance to hospital with non- life threatening injuries.
Both teenagers, who are each charged with 14 counts of committing an unlawful act with intent to harm and 14 counts of criminal damage over the incident, appeared in the Perth Children’s Court today.
One of the boys, from Wellard, who was already on bail for serious charges including aggravated robbery, common assault and criminal damage, had been behind bars at Banksia Hill Juvenile Detention Centre since his January 4 arrest.
But the boy was released after his lawyer, Sophie Manson- Grumley, argued there were “exceptional circumstances” in his case.
Ms Manson- Grumley said the boy had a “limited record”, a supportive family and was enrolled in a welding course that started next month.
She said the boy denied throwing rocks, saying he accepted he was “in the vicinity”, behind a building, “but did not know what his co- accused was doing”.
“He came around and saw what he was doing and told him to stop, at which point he says he saw police lights,” she said.
The boy will also deny the rest of the allegations against him, Ms Manson- Grumley said, which the court was told relate to the alleged violent theft of a scooter from a 15- year- old.
Ms Manson- Grumley said it was the boy’s first time in custody and he was struggling.
While prosecutors did not agree the boy’s circumstances were exceptional, Magistrate Catherine Crawford decided to grant him supervised bail, which includes a requirement to abide by a curfew and to leave his house only with an authorised adult.
The boy’s co- accused, from Oakford, was released into the care of child protection authorities at an earlier court hearing. He will appear in court again on March 6 and the Wellard boy will appear in court on February 27.