Building a sustainable house
HAVE you ever wondered if it’s possible to live sustainably – living in a way that uses fewer of the earth’s natural resources, recycling and producing less waste?
There’s a lot we can do to reduce our environmental footprint and sustainable housing is one way of finding solutions to tackle issues and facilitate change.
By enhancing efficiency and moderation in the use of materials, energy and space, sustainable houses can minimise the negative environmental impact of buildings.
To construct a sustainable house, green house or eco house there are a few different things to consider:
- the energy and materials required to construct the house.
- the impact on the environment where it is built.
- the house’s design, and how that affects the need for things such as artificial heating and cooling, lighting and water demands.
- the lifespan of the building.
- how its by products are disposed of or recycled.
Your Home is Australia’s most comprehensive guide to environmentally sustainable homes. Check it out at: www.yourhome.gov.au/introduction