Pea, broad bean and haloumi fritters
serves / 4 prep / 10 minutes cook / 20 minutes
260g (1 2⁄3 cups) frozen peas 150g (1 cup) frozen broad beans
100g ( 2⁄3 cup) wholemeal spelt flour
3⁄4 tsp baking powder
125ml ( 1⁄2 cup) milk
180g haloumi, coarsely grated
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh mint
2 green shallots, thinly sliced
2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
Baby spinach leaves, to serve
TOMATO AND ALMOND SALSA:
200g grape tomatoes, halved 1 1⁄ tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 2 2 tbsp slivered almonds, toasted 1 green shallot, thinly sliced 1 tbsp white balsamic vinegar 1 lemon, zested
1. Cook peas and beans in a saucepan of boiling water for 2 minutes or until bright green and tender crisp. Drain. Refresh under cold running water. Peel and discard the pod from beans. Process beans and 1 cup of the peas in a food processor until combined.
2. Sift flour and baking powder into a large bowl. Season. Make a well in the centre. Whisk milk and eggs together in a jug. Add to well and stir until smooth. Stir in bean mixture, haloumi, mint, shallots and remaining peas until a thick batter forms.
3. Heat half the oil in a non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add three 1⁄4-cupfuls of batter, flattening slightly. Cook for 2 minutes or until golden. Turn. Cook for a further 1-2 minutes or until cooked through. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel. Repeat in 3 batches with remaining oil and batter.
4. Meanwhile, for the salsa, line a baking tray with foil and preheat grill on high. Place the tomato, cut-side up, on tray. Drizzle with 2 tsp of the oil. Season. Grill for 4-5 minutes or until tender and lightly charred. Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the almond, shallot, vinegar, zest and remaining oil. Season.
5. Divide fritters among serving plates and top with the baby spinach and salsa.