Lamb and eggplant biryani
serves / 4 prep / 20 minutes cook / 10 minutes
80g ( 1⁄3 cup) korma curry paste, plus 1 tbsp, extra
1 tbsp natural yoghurt, plus extra, to serve
500g lamb leg steaks
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 brown onion, sliced
1 eggplant, cut into 2cm pieces
250g (1 1⁄4 cups) brown basmati rice
500ml (2 cups) vegetable stock, warmed
400g can chickpeas, rinsed, drained
200g green beans, blanched, cut into thirds Roasted cashews, to serve Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
1. Combine the extra 1 tbsp curry paste and the yoghurt in a bowl. Add the lamb and toss to combine. Set aside.
2. Heat 1 1⁄ tbsp oil in a large 2 frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the onion and eggplant, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until lightly caramelised.
3. Stir in the rice, curry paste, stock and chickpeas. Bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and the rice is cooked. Remove from the heat and set aside, covered, for 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tsp oil in a separate frying pan over medium heat. Cook the lamb for 2-3 minutes each side or until browned and cooked to your liking. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and set aside for 5 minutes to rest. Slice.
5. Fluff the rice mixture with a fork. Stir in the beans and lamb. Divide among serving plates. Top with the extra yoghurt, cashews and coriander.
TIP: This fuss-free lamb and eggplant biryani is ready in 30 minutes, perfect for weeknight dinners.