Sunday Mail - Body and Soul - - FRONT PAGE -

While most health prod­ucts aren’t tax de­ductible, there are a few ex­cep­tions worth know­ing about. Fi­nance ex­pert and Officeworks spokesper­son Jus­tine Davies says, “The ba­sic rule of thumb is that for some­thing to be a work-re­lated ex­penses (and there­fore a tax de­duc­tion), you have to be able to prove it’s a nec­es­sary part of your em­ploy­ment.”

Here, Davies sug­gests prod­ucts to con­sider – just make sure you check with your ac­coun­tant or the tax of­fice be­fore fil­ing your claim. Tax-de­ductible if… you’re the des­ig­nated first-aid per­son in your work­place and need to do train­ing. Tax-de­ductible if… you work in a harsh en­vi­ron­ment and it’s es­sen­tial that you main­tain a well­groomed and well-pre­sented im­age for your job (think air­line cabin crew, rather than con­struc­tion work­ers). Tax-de­ductible if… you work as a pro­fes­sional dancer or per­former, or in the adult in­dus­try, in cases where dance ance lessons can help to main­tain or im­prove mprove the dance skills you use as s part of your job. Tax-de­ductible ctible if… you’re a truck driver. ver. De­pre­ci­a­tion on the cost of a por­ta­ble fridge is a tax de­duc­tion for long-haul driv­ers if it’s used for the stor­age of food and drink while on work-re­lated travel.

Tax-de­ductible if… you have tomain­tainto main­tain a very high level of fit­ness for work (think per­sonal train­ers or spe­cial armed forces). Wear­able tech is a new area in tax terms, so talk to your ac­coun­tant be­fore

mak­ing a claim. Tax-de­ductible if… they form part of a dis­tinc­tive com­pul­sory uni­form and must be worn while on duty or you can show that hav­ing a very high de­gree of fit­ness is es­sen­tial to your job.

the na­ture of your work means work­ing in the sun for all or part of the day and you use th­ese items to pro­tect your­self from the sun dur­ing that time.

Still not done your tax re­turn? Be­fore you run out of time, find nd out if you can be re­im­bursed for your run­ners or claim for that dance nce class Tax-de­ductible if…

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.