Vegie patch may be source of MFS toxins
A VEGETABLE patch has been identified as the likely source of potentially deadly toxins detected in nearly half of firefighters at a metro fire station, according to the MFS.
But the service’s assistant chief fire officer Roy Thompson said it will not close the Largs North station, where nine of the 20 crew members recorded extremely high-levels of perflurorinated compounds. The Advertiser revealed yesterday that recent blood test by the MFS of 215 past and present firefighters found 84 had returned aboveaverage levels of the chemical used in firefighting foam, which has been linked to cancer in overseas studies. Mr Thompson said the nine Largs firefighters returned “concerning” samples containing more than more than 100ng/ml.
He said there was “virtually no risk” of further contamination and that the station would operate as normal.
He said the contamination source was likely a garden patch at the back of the Wilochra St station and that soil and groundwater at the site would be tested on Tuesday.