Bid to help dream rise from ashes

Sunday Mail - - NEWS - MITCH MOTT

DOUG Mur­phy and Steve Mudge had the next few years planned out.

They would sell their pop­u­lar cafe in Hen­ley Beach South and make a fresh start of it in New Zealand.

A buyer had even been lined up for their venue, the Yan­kee Cafe on Hen­ley Beach Rd, and the cou­ple had pur­chased a plot of land in NZ.

But one spark has put that plan in jeop­ardy as the cou­ple watched the Yan­kee Cafe burn on Wed­nes­day.

Now a go­fundme cam­paign has been set up to help get the pair on their feet and their dream of mov­ing to NZ back on track.

The cafe was ex­ten­sively dam­aged on Wed­nes­day by a fire thought to have started in a faulty deep fryer which had been left on.

The blaze started in the kitchen and caused ex­ten­sive smoke dam­age to a bar­ber, baker and butcher which are in the same block of busi­nesses as the cafe.

The Metropoli­tan Fire Ser­vice es­ti­mated the fire caused $300,000 dam­age but for the own­ers of the cafe, the blaze has put more than the fu­ture of the venue at risk.

Suz­zanne Bon­nici-Ner­lich, a friend of the cou­ple, started the go­fundme cam­paign on Fri­day. “Over the past five years they have put their heart and soul into build­ing this amaz­ing lit­tle cafe that has been loved by lo­cals and peo­ple afar,” she said.

“On Wed­nes­day their Yan­kee Cafe was com­pletely de­stroyed by a fire, just 11 days be­fore they were to han­dover to the new own­ers, and they dis­cov­ered that their in­sur­ance doesn’t even start to cover the ex­ten­sive dam­age done or their lost in­come.

Mr Mur­phy said he was in­cred­i­bly hum­bled by the ges­ture and that he was still mak­ing ar­range­ments in the af­ter­math of the fire.

“I had to call the prospec­tive buy­ers and ob­vi­ously give them their de­posit back,” Mr Mur­phy said.

The cam­paign aims to raise $25,000 to get the cou­ple back on their feet and their dream of mov­ing to New Zealand back on track.

Pic­ture: DEAN MARTIN

BURNT OUT: Fire­fight­ers at the Yan­kee Cafe, at Hen­ley Beach, af­ter the fire on Wed­nes­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.