Bid to help dream rise from ashes
DOUG Murphy and Steve Mudge had the next few years planned out.
They would sell their popular cafe in Henley Beach South and make a fresh start of it in New Zealand.
A buyer had even been lined up for their venue, the Yankee Cafe on Henley Beach Rd, and the couple had purchased a plot of land in NZ.
But one spark has put that plan in jeopardy as the couple watched the Yankee Cafe burn on Wednesday.
Now a gofundme campaign has been set up to help get the pair on their feet and their dream of moving to NZ back on track.
The cafe was extensively damaged on Wednesday by a fire thought to have started in a faulty deep fryer which had been left on.
The blaze started in the kitchen and caused extensive smoke damage to a barber, baker and butcher which are in the same block of businesses as the cafe.
The Metropolitan Fire Service estimated the fire caused $300,000 damage but for the owners of the cafe, the blaze has put more than the future of the venue at risk.
Suzzanne Bonnici-Nerlich, a friend of the couple, started the gofundme campaign on Friday. “Over the past five years they have put their heart and soul into building this amazing little cafe that has been loved by locals and people afar,” she said.
“On Wednesday their Yankee Cafe was completely destroyed by a fire, just 11 days before they were to handover to the new owners, and they discovered that their insurance doesn’t even start to cover the extensive damage done or their lost income.
Mr Murphy said he was incredibly humbled by the gesture and that he was still making arrangements in the aftermath of the fire.
“I had to call the prospective buyers and obviously give them their deposit back,” Mr Murphy said.
The campaign aims to raise $25,000 to get the couple back on their feet and their dream of moving to New Zealand back on track.
BURNT OUT: Firefighters at the Yankee Cafe, at Henley Beach, after the fire on Wednesday.