R&B star re­buffs sex claims

Sunday Mail - - NEWS -

A LAWYER for R. Kelly says that the R&B star de­nies all al­le­ga­tions of sex­ual mis­con­duct in­volv­ing women and un­der­age girls, in­clud­ing those made in a re­cent doc­u­men­tary.

Steve Green­berg of­fered his most ve­he­ment de­fence of the Grammy-win­ning record­ing artist, pic­tured, since a pros­e­cu­tor in Chicago this week urged po­ten­tial vic­tims to come for­ward after the screen­ing on TV of the doc­u­men­tary Sur­viv­ing R Kelly, which re­vis­ited old al­le­ga­tions and brought new ones to the light.

Mr Green­berg por­trayed Kelly, one of the top-sell­ing record­ing artists of all time, as a vic­tim of a tele­vi­sion “hit piece”.

“The al­le­ga­tions aren’t true be­cause he never know­ingly had sex with un­der­age women, he never forced any­one to do any­thing, he never held any­one cap­tive, he never abused any­one,” Mr Green­berg said.

Sur­viv­ing R. Kelly fol­lows the BBC’s R Kelly: Sex, Girls & Video­tapes, which was re­leased last year. It al­leged the singer was hold­ing women against their will and run­ning a “sex cult”.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.