Departing Red Regan shells out $50,000 transfer fee
TAYLOR Regan — bound for Malaysia — has paid his own $50,000 transfer exit fee to Adelaide United.
Regan, 30, handed the club the transfer fee set in his Reds contract in order to sign for Malaysia's Selangor last week.
Tony Rallis who, with Malaysia-based partner and exSocceroo Scott Ollerenshaw brokered the Selangor deal, said centre-back Regan was making an investment in his future by paying the exit fee.
“Adelaide United Football Club is entitled to ask for a transfer fee and unfortunately the player had to pay it out of his pocket,’’ Rallis said. “Malaysian football is a great platform to help Australian players to revitalise careers (including) Andrew Nabbout, Joel Chianese, Taylor Regan (twice), Matt Davies (former Perth Glory now Malaysian international), Fabio Ferreira and Henrique.
“They were all taken there when they weren’t wanted by the A-League and all fell in love with game again.”
Regan’s two-year Reds deal would have expired in May
Meanwhile, coach Marco Kurz has urged the club’s bosses to seriously consider luring midfielder Daniel Adlung, 31, back to the club.
The gun German is, according to sources, on standby to fly to Adelaide immediately, despite having left midcontract last year for personal reasons.
He is currently a player/assistant coach for Germany’s SpVgg Greuther Fürth’s second team in the Regionlliga Bayern, where he has played 20 games and scored once.
Kurz also said midweek that snaring an experienced centreback to replace Regan made sense. Fans and pundits have demanded the club find a striker before the A-League FIFA transfer window closes on January 31.
But United football director – and former coach – Aurelio Vidmar says that is easier said than done mid-season.
“It’s very complicated, it’s not so easy just to go and get any striker, there is a lot of challenges,” he said. “The quality players that everyone wants are either already signed at clubs or cost a lot of money, and we’ve only got a little bit of a budget to deal with.
“I think here over the last couple of years we’ve done that as well; brought people in for a short-term five-month deal … the other situation is that players who aren’t currently playing haven’t played for three months, which means it would take them anywhere up to a month to get match-fit, so it’s quite complicated.
"We don’t want to just bring anyone in here that wouldn’t do a job for the team.”
Vidmar also said talks about extending Kurz’s Reds stay would not be rushed.
“Well he’s been doing a pretty good job so far and I think what’s important is that we don’t put him under too much pressure about what’s going on with his future,” Vidmar told 10 News First Adelaide. “Let him coach, do it well and that decision will be made toward the end of the season.”