NEWS 07 SUNDAY DECEMBER 16 2018 Mass nurse resignations LAUREN ROBERTS Health Reporter Australian Nursing and Midwifery Federation NT branch secretary Yvonne Falckh said she was not concerned about the exodus. Ms Falckh said “mass resignations” were common across Territory hospitals as Christmas approached. “Quite a few people are from interstate, and they apply for holiday leave and get it knocked back, so they leave,” she said. “It’s the way of life in the NT. I’ve been in contact with the hospital, and they feel confident.” Ms Falckh said nurses worked double shifts yearround and the silly season was no different. “Staff are aware that if they are being asked to do shifts and feel like they can’t, to speak to their manager,” she said. Ms Falckh urged Territori- ans not to worry over the drop in staff numbers, as over the Christmas period demand for hospital services dropped and the facility would still be well staffed. Australian Medical Association NT president Dr Robert Parker echoed the reassurance. “All hospitals go on a reduced activity schedule over Christmas, so hospitals have usually got a plan over the season,” Dr Parker said. He has been working in the Territory for 22 years and said it was common for staff numbers to decrease over the Christmas period. Neither Ms Falckh nor Dr Parker had a suggestion as to how to prevent the annual “mass resignation” of Territory nurses, but both would welcome a solution. A Top End Health Service spokeswoman said RDH had about 1300 nursing staff who worked full time, part time, casual and temporary contracts. The spokeswoman confirmed there would be a reduction in some services – such as elective surgery – over the Christmas period. She added there would be a record 40 nursing graduates starting at Royal Darwin Hospital in January. ROYAL Darwin Hospital is calling on nurses to pull double shifts over the silly season following a “mass resignation” of health workers in recent weeks. Eleven nurses quit in November, a figure likely to be the same or higher in the month of December. PEE WEE’S FLIES HIGH WITH TOP WORLD TRAVELLERS’ AWARD RAPHAELLA SAROUKOS Territory links to couple’s alleged home kit con job mission. Nair is now facing charges relating to falsely applying for an Australian passport and the alleged kit homes scam, over which Wilson has also been charged. Both have also been charged with extortion. Nair and Wilson, who separated in 2016, are defending all allegations. Nair is expected to go to trial in June over the earlier charges. It is not known when Wilson will go to trial over the older accusations. They don’t understand how Nair and Wilson were able to run the N1 Homes business given in 2011 Nair — or Matthew Willaims as he was then calling himself — was permanently excluded from being the director of a Queensland Building Services Authority-licensed company. About half of those who have been compensated under the home warranty insurance scheme were from the NT, according to the Queensland Building and Construction Com- TERRITORIANS have been caught up in an alleged home kit scam. Matt “Millionair” Nair and his now ex-wife Jessica Wilson are accused of using phony photos of supposed construction work on Queensland sites to dupe investment property buyers thousands of kilometres away into approving progress payments when little or no work had been done. Many of the alleged victims feel let down by the building regulators. The Hon Warren Snowdon MP Member for Lingiari has relocated their office to: Coolalinga Central 8/425 Stuart Highway Coolalinga NT 0839 Telephone: (08) 8983 3129 Email: Warren.Snowdon.MP@aph.gov.au V1 - NTNE01Z01MA PRINTED AND DISTRIBUTED BY PRESSREADER PressReader.com +1 604 278 4604 ORIGINAL COPY . ORIGINAL COPY . ORIGINAL COPY . ORIGINAL COPY . ORIGINAL COPY . ORIGINAL COPY COPYRIGHT AND PROTECTED BY APPLICABLE LAW
© PressReader. All rights reserved.