First Val­ley, then dream in Indy­Cars

Sunday Territorian - - SPORT - RE­BECCA WIL­LIAMS

SU­PER­CARS cham­pion Scott McLaugh­lin has vowed to keep fight­ing for his IndyCar dream de­railed by the coro­n­avirus pan­demic this year, ahead of the Triple Crown at Dar­win’s Hid­den Val­ley next week­end.

But open­ing up on his rac­ing fu­ture, the DJR Team Penske star said he was still “sched­uled ab­so­lutely” to con­tinue as a Su­per­cars racer in 2021. Spec­u­la­tion was rife at the start of the year that this sea­son would be McLaugh­lin’s last in Su­per­cars be­fore a full­time move to race in the US.

After suc­cess­ful pre-sea­son test­ing with Team Penske in the US, McLaugh­lin was due to make his IndyCar race de­but at the Grand Prix of In­di­anapo­lis in May be­fore the COVID-19 pan­demic struck.

McLaugh­lin said it stung watch­ing the post­poned IndyCar Grand Prix he was meant to race in last month, but isn’t giv­ing up on his US dream.

Travel re­stric­tions and en­forced quar­an­tine pe­ri­ods have all quashed any chance of McLaugh­lin com­pet­ing in Amer­ica this year.

“It did st­ing a lit­tle bit watch­ing the Indy race that I was meant to be in a cou­ple of weeks ago,” McLaugh­lin said.

“But hope­fully if I do keep do­ing the right things over here an­other op­por­tu­nity will arise. I think in re­gards to po­ten­tially do­ing the (race) pro­gram that I was meant to do this year, Team Penske and Roger (Penske) will give me ev­ery op­por­tu­nity they can (next year).”

Pic­ture: MARK HORSBURGH/EDGE PHOTOGRAPH­ICS via GETTY

Scott McLaugh­lin after win­ning dur­ing the Syd­ney Su­per­sprint last round.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.