Sydney Arena - - ARENA SPORTS -

De­spite the Roost­ers suf­fer­ing early in­juries they have shown a depth of qual­ity to give them ev­ery chance of achiev­ing back-to-back pre­mier­ships.

Hav­ing sur­vived the best that Mel­bourne Storm could muster the Roost­ers got the golden point from a bril­liant Si­tili Tu­pouniua run.

La­trell Mitchell kept his cool and ex­pertly slot­ted the one-pointer in the first minute of golden point to seal vic­tory.

Mitchell is the League’s star cen­tre and got the mea­sure of the Mel­bourne defence as well as the field goal golden-point.

Cooper Cronk had the last laugh af­ter leav­ing the Storm claim­ing two points.

South Syd­ney have had to scrap to win, but win they did without the Inglis fac­tor. Souths are build­ing and con­fi­dence is ris­ing that the Rab­bitohs will hold a top 4 po­si­tion.

They won the Good Fri­day grind af­ter go­ing score­less sec­ond half.

But de­fend they did mag­nif­i­cently af­ter los­ing full­back Nick Meaney for the ma­jor­ity of the sec­ond half with a se­vere lac­er­a­tion to his fin­ger.

Will Hopoate went to the back and Corey Harawira-Naera, who had passed an con­cus­sion test dur­ing the break, went to right cen­tre.

Coach Wayne Ben­nett will have to find ways to keep the Rab­bitohs flame burn­ing.

Wests had the big mo­ment of play­ing at the first Bankwest Sta­dium event and lost eas­ily to Par­ra­matta.

The Eels best Wests at the new rugby league arena to the tune of 51-6.

What a way to Chris­ten the $300 mil­lion, 30,000-seat sta­dium.

And, in front of 29,047 fans, the Ells took the Tigers apart.

Was it the en­ergy of the arena com­ing from the steep grand­stands to the field? Or was it the tun­nel full of sup­port­ers and mem­bers when both teams run out onto the field?

Wests lost Rob­bie Farah who lasted just nine minutes hav­ing to leave the field af­ter tak­ing a heavy head knock.

Clearly he was concussed at the time straight af­ter the in­ci­dent. Luke Garner also left the arena due to a head knock.

The first try to Moses be­gan 16 minutes of ex­cite­ment with the Eels scor­ing five tries to rush to leap out to a 30-point lead.

Moses then con­trib­uted a chip kick that found a Brad Takairangi. And then the on­slaught of Michael Jen­nings bag­ging the next two tries be­fore Jae­man Sal­mon crossed over the line to make it 30-0.

The Tigers grabbed back on try but the match was over.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.