Bollards designed to prevent car attacks in CBD
Work on more than 50 permanent bollards in Melbourne’s CBD will begin on Monday to prevent potentially fatal car attacks.
The first of three staged works will start at 8pm on Monday until December 14, with a lane of traffic on Swanston Street to Flinders Street closed while the 53 bollards are installed.
An extra 130sq m of public space will also be added below the Flinders Street Station clocks as part of the previously announced $50 million state government security package.
Victoria Police Assistant Commissioner Stephen Leane said the measures would put a distance between road users and pedestrians.
“We want to create real space between vehicles, no matter who is driving the vehicle and what their intent, and pedestrians,” he said.
Temporary bollards at nine sites across the city will be swapped for the permanent stainless steel cylindrical bollards, with the second stage of works beginning in January.