NEWS FROM THE PAST
THE LAYING OF THE FOUNDATION STONE OF THE JEWISH SYNAGOGUE
Yesterday the foundation stone of the new Synagogue was laid by Samuel Benjamin, Esq., in the presence of a large number of persons, and unusual interest was taken in the proceedings. The officiating minister was Mr JM Mayers, of Brisbane. The proceedings commenced with a short service at the residence of Mr JA Lehman, when a procession was formed and led the way to the site of the new building, headed by the officiating minister, and little children carrying on silver salvers the silver chalices containing corn, wine, and oil. Arrived at the foundation stone, the officiating minister addressed the assembled congregation.
The preliminaries having been completed, a sealed bottle was produced containing the current coins of the realm, from a farthing to a sovereign, the latest copy of the London Jewish Chronicle, the Melbourne Dialectic, and Toowoomba Chronicle and Darling Downs Gazette and a parchment scroll.
The bottle was then placed in a cavity in the stone prepared for it, and a trowel having been handed to Mr Benjamin the mortar was spread, the stone was lowered and placed in its position, and having been plumbed and levelled was declared by Mr Benjamin well and truly laid. The other three corner stones were then duly laid by Mr Henry Spiro, Master Isaac Spiro, and Master Joseph Benjamin.
In the evening a banquet in commemoration of the laying of the foundation stone of the first Jewish Synagogue on the Darling Downs, was held at Lindenberg’s Hotel.
Toowoomba Chronicle and Queensland Advertiser, August 4, 1875