TOOWOOMBA HOSPITAL ITS EARLY HISTORY
In the closing years of the fifties, Dr Otto Sachse was the only resident medical practitioner in Toowoomba, Dr William Armstrong having established himself in Drayton, and Dr JE Stacey had not then arrived amongst us. Dr Sachse was a most skilful surgeon, with a veritable whirlwind of a temper, and yet, withal dominated by the instincts of his profession.
...he applied to the late Hon James Taylor for assistance, and that gentleman generously leased him, at a peppercorn rental, a small bark hut in Russell-street on the west of its intersection with Mylne-street. In this primitive hospital he established six beds, again – if tradition is correct – with the assistance of his landlord.
At the same time existed a society for the relief of poor sufferers, and Dr Sachse’s little hospital merged into the Darling Downs Benevolent Society, which had more commodious premises for the accommodation of patients.
An application was made to the Government for a grant of two acres of land on the south-east coroner of Ruthven and James streets, for the purpose of erecting a building thereon to suit the requirements of an increasing demand on the accommodation of those seeking medical skill and nursing.
Designs were called for and specifications drawn out, with the result that at the close of 1862 a building capable of accommodating 50 to 60 patients was opened.
Toowoomba Chronicle and Darling Downs Gazette, March 5, 1925