Stolen Mustang charges
Juvenile, 14, accused of riding in stolen Ford
A 14-YEAR-OLD boy accused of riding in a Ford Mustang stolen from a Toowoomba residence overnight Monday has been granted bail with strict conditions.
The lad, who as a juvenile cannot be identified, was arrested by police on Tuesday and spent the night in the watch house before appearing via video link before the Toowoomba Children’s Court on Wednesday.
He was charged with burthough glary and unlawfully using a motor vehicle arising from the alleged incidents.
Magistrate Kay Ryan noted the teenager had only been released on bail by the Children’s Court of Queensland (CCQ) last week after spending six weeks in custody at the juvenile detention centre.
Objecting to bail being granted to the teen, police prosecutor Sergeant Natalie Bugden told the court that among the teen’s bail conditions from the CCQ was that he had to reside with his grandmother in Darling Heights and abide by a nightly curfew from 6pm to 6am and to have no alcohol or drugs, except those prescribed by a doctor, and have no contact with a boy who was suspected as driving the stolen Mustang.
The lad had admitted to police that he left his home about midnight in breach of curfew, she said.
The boy’s solicitor, Michael McElhinney, sought bail for the teenager who was due to appear before the same court on Thursday for the original matters for which he was granted bail by the CCQ.
“He would abide by a curfew,” Mr McElhinney said.
“Like that worked last time,” Ms Ryan replied.
Ms Ryan berated the teen for breaching his bail.
“Why would you go out at night and get in a car with someone you’re not supposed to have contact with?” she asked the 14-year-old.
“All I wanted was a lift home,” the lad replied.
Ms Ryan noted the Crown case against the teenager as to being in the car was strong, the case against him in relation to the burglary might go to case conferencing.
“I am going to grant you bail, heaven help me,” Ms Ryan told the lad.
Bail was granted on condition the 14-year-old live with his family in Darling Heights, abide by a nightly curfew and have no contact with the other boy.
The case was adjourned to today with his other matters.
“Now, we’ll see if you can last 24 hours without breaching bail,” Ms Ryan told him.