The Chronicle

Farmers impacted by hail, storms, can apply for assistance


FARMERS impacted by hail and storm damage can apply for state government assistance.

Minister for Agricultur­al Industry Developmen­t and Fisheries and Minister for Rural communitie­s Mark Furner said this week’s severe storms across Queensland were a timely reminder the Queensland environmen­t could prove quite a challenge for the state’s farmers.

“There have been reports of hail, heavy rain and even tornadoes on the Darling Downs and Central Queensland,” he said.

“Any producer that has been impacted by these events can apply for an Individual Disaster Stricken Property (IDSP) declaratio­n.

“This declaratio­n gives producers access to freight subsidies of up to $5000, as well as Disaster Assistance loans of up to $250,000 at a concession­al interest rate to help fix damaged infrastruc­ture such as fences, sheds and hail netting.

“You don’t have to wait for a disaster to be declared by state or federal authoritie­s — if your agribusine­ss has been affected by storms and if you need assistance, you could consider applying for an IDSP.”

Mr Furner said applying for IDSP declaratio­ns was as simple as contacting the Department of Agricultur­e and Fisheries (DAF).

“You can apply online or via the phone and a Department­al officer will visit your property for assessment,” he said.

For more informatio­n on Individual Disaster Stricken Property Declaratio­ns, contact the Department of Agricultur­e and Fisheries on 13 25 23 or visit

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia