Sides Roar in to grand fi­nals


The Cobram Courier - - SPORT -


Co­bram Roar 2 d Wodonga Di­a­monds 1 Com­ing off a tough first fi­nal last week, the Roar were hop­ing to have a fast start to this game.

The Roar be­gan the game with plenty of prom­ise, with con­tin­ual pres­sure and shots on goal.

With plenty of pos­ses­sion in the first half, they were re­warded for their ef­forts af­ter a great cross, which D. Forster fin­ished off with a great header, giv­ing Roar the lead go­ing into half­time.

The Roar set­tled down af­ter the break and had many shots on goals from out­side the box. R. Denny scored, giv­ing the Roar the buf­fer it needed.

Un­for­tu­nately, Wodonga was awarded a penalty, which put the pres­sure back on the Roar.

Luck­ily, the Roar were able to ab­sorb the pres­sure to have a fan­tas­tic win.

Co­bram looks for­ward to the grand fi­nal this week, when it hopes to cap­i­talise on a great sea­son.

GOALS: D. Forster, R. Denny.


Co­bram Roar 4 d

St Pat’s 1 The un­der-12s came up against a phys­i­cal side in St Pat’s in their semi-fi­nal on Sun­day.

Co­bram started well from the first whis­tle, with the side look­ing to dom­i­nate the con­test.

Jack­son Koop­man was busy early, latch­ing on to the ball from out­side the box and smash­ing it into the net to put Co­bram up 1-0.

St Pat’s wasn’t giv­ing up with­out a fight and pushed for­ward with num­bers. But Co­bram de­fend­ers Thomas Corso, Sonny Rowe, Harry Pater­son and Lach­lan Kelly were res­o­lute and kept St Pat’s from scor­ing. Keeper Jor­dan Kelly also made some good saves.

The first half see-sawed from one end to the other, with Xavier Spiller, Dea­con Forster, Lo­gan Stone and Spencer Clark pro­vid­ing plenty of run in the mid­field.

Luke Goodin was do­ing a fan­tas­tic job on St Pats’ best player, blan­ket­ing him.

The sec­ond half saw Co­bram come to life with Dea­con chip­ping a de­fender down the right wing for Jake Kalz, who then crossed the ball cen­time­tre per­fect to Jack­son, who again slammed it into the net to go up 2-0.

St Pat’s kept push­ing, but Jake pounced on a loose ball to score Co­bram’s third.

St Pat’s again kept push­ing for a goal and was fi­nally re­warded with one.

How­ever, Jack­son wasn’t fin­ished and scored a hat­trick with a stun­ning long strike to hand Co­bram a 4-1 win.

Co­bram now plays Myrtle­ford in the grand fi­nal on Sun­day.

GOALS: Jack­son 3, Jake.


Mel­rose 2 d Co­bram Roar 0


Co­bram Roar 3 d Wodonga Di­a­monds 2 Af­ter a great semi-fi­nal per­for­mance, Co­bram will play off in the grand fi­nal this week­end.

Re­serve men

Wodonga Di­a­monds 4 d Co­bram Roar 0

Too strong: Co­bram’s un­der-12 side was far too strong for St Pat’s in their semi-fi­nal match-up, win­ning 4-1. It is pic­tured with coach Chris Gash and team man­ager Chrissie Kalz.

Bound for the grand fi­nal: Co­bram Roar’s un­der-11s de­feated Wodonga Di­a­monds in the semi-fi­nal.

Re­ward: Lil­li­eth Ukich took home the ju­nior club per­son of the year award.

Well done: Tessa McMa­hon shared the un­der-13 coaches award with Meg Hyde.

Big ef­fort: Abbie Red­man was named most im­proved in the un­der-13 side.

Great year: Alahni Hul­ley was run­ner-up in the un­der-13 vote count.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.