The Cobram Courier

Roar suffers opening shock

- – Daniel Webb

It was an unlucky start to the season for the Cobram Roar, going down to Myrtleford in a close contest in Cobram.

The game was goal for goal throughout the 90 minutes, with Myrtleford opening the scoring through Nagus Henry.

Cobram youngster Thomas Corso levelled the scores in the 26th minute, before Henry found two more on either side of the half time break.

The game stepped up a notch in the 68th minute when sixteenyea­r-old Corso found a second for the Roar, however it was not meant to be.

The home side unable to take its chances, including missing a penalty and Myrtleford ran out 3-2 winners.

Cobram coach Vince Ianuucci was unable to attend the weekend’s game but said he was happy with how the side was going.

“We’re gonna get better,” Iannucci said.

“For me it’s a great measure to be up against the two best sides this early.”

The league loss was not the only game of the past week for Cobram, with the Roar moving into the next round of the Albury Wodonga Mens FA Cup after defeating the Wodonga Diamonds 3-0.

A brace from Jack Dovey and a goal to Mohd Hizam A Rani saw the side run out convincing winners.

“We brought a mixed side, with still a few to come back in,” Iannucci said.

“A lot of the things we were working towards came together.”

The Division One men’s side will take on Wangaratta this week, with the Division Two Women’s side also in action for its first game of the year.

Cobram Roar Notes:

Division 2 men

Cobram 3 def Myrtleford 1 Before the reserves game the whole senior squad gathered in the rooms to kick the season off. Light on for numbers this week, given it was the long weekend, three under-16 Cobram players were promoted to the squad. Jordan Kelly in goals, Jesse Wakeman and Baden Riedell.

Some familiar faces were also back for another season and the core group of players held strong in the first hit out of the year. Roar dominated the first half and was eventually rewarded with a cracking goal from Cooper Sorrenti. After beating a couple of defenders, the hard-nosed midfielder hit his shot sweetly from outside the box and it soared beyond the keeper’s grasp.

One nil at the break had the roar team smelling blood. After a quick kill the tempo rose with the heat in the second half. With only one on the bench this week the boys dug deep. The defence stood tall, the midfield dominated the centre of the park, so it was only a matter of time before the roar broke through again. Shot after shot sailed wide and high, but a quick break saw a roar player brought down in the box and the resulting penalty was dispatched to

put the roar up by two.

A lapse on a free kick saw Myrtleford peg one back with 20 minutes to go. If tension was running high no-one told the Roar boys. Some brilliant passages of play led to continued pressure and eventually it was Conner Dodson who made an excellent run through the midfield, which he had been controllin­g all day, and he struck the sweetest shot into the net to restore the two goal advantage.

The Roar boys stuck it out to the final whistle to hold on for victory to kick start the new season 3-1. The song in the rooms was sung with great gusto.


Cobram 6 def Myrtleford 0 The under-16s came out full of energy with lots of talk and great passages of play. it wasn’t long before Sam Hurlston scored the team’s first and the boys went into half time with

a well-deserved 4-0 lead. The team tired a bit in the second half and came away with a solid 6-0 win.

Goals: Jake kalz (2) Sam Hurlston, Jesse Wakeman and Ted Thomas (1) and an own goal.

Under-14 girls

Cobram 3 lt Myrtleford 7

The under-14 girls came out strong against Myrtlefod scoring all three goals in the first half. Myrtleford in the second half found its rhythm and despite Roar’s best efforts it were defeated 7-3.

Goals: Alexis Iddles, Bella Pardy, Luana Mete.


Cobram 2 def Myrtleford 1 The newly formed under-13 team performed well in the first match of the year. Half the team had just finished playing the under-12 game when they took to the pitch.

Xavier was unlucky to have an early goal disallowed. Paige Riedell put in a solid performanc­e as goalkeeper in the first half of the game. Lenny showed great organisati­on and leadership skills in the backline. The team, however, conceded a goal late in the first half.

In the second half, the team worked well together in getting the

ball play forward. Sam and Jeremy showed great persistenc­e. Luana scored the team's first official goal, and a goal from Logan put the team in the lead. The backline, together with Charlie Keath in goals, kept Myrtleford from scoring any further goals.

Well done to a team that was only created four days before game day.


Cobram Roar 7 def Myrtleford 0 The under-12 team had a number of players making their debut for Roar. They played well as a team, had great passages of play and showed talent and good teamwork. Jeremy Egan kicked four goals in his first game with Cobram Roar.

Goals: Jeremy Egan 4, Samuel Osborne 2, Harvey Boake 1.

Next week we take on Wangaratta at Apex with the reserves kicking off at 1pm. It was great to see some familiar faces in the big crowd on the weekend. It would be great to see some of those faces down at Roar training every Wednesday and Friday at 6.15pm. Get around the club this year any way you can as the Roar take on the best that the Albury Wodonga Football Associatio­n has to offer.

 ?? ?? Goal time: The under-12s celebrate a goal.
Goal time: The under-12s celebrate a goal.
 ?? ?? Close contest: Ella Janssens attempts to out pace her opponent.
Close contest: Ella Janssens attempts to out pace her opponent.
 ?? ?? Goal scorer: Thomas Corso scored a brace on Sunday.
Goal scorer: Thomas Corso scored a brace on Sunday.
 ?? ?? On the run: Connor Dodson attempts to beat his man.
On the run: Connor Dodson attempts to beat his man.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia