The Courier-Mail - Career One - - Careers -


Also known as PPF in­stal­la­tion, this is a niche line of work in Aus­tralia. It in­volves in­stalling films to ve­hi­cle body­work to pro­tect the paint from chips, scratches and sun dam­age.

Slick Azz Pro­tec­tive Coat­ings owner Mad­di­son Lawrence says PPF in­stall­ers work on ve­hi­cles from lux­ury cars to trucks.

Most work­ers are only re­quired to com­plete a three-day course to be em­ployed. “It then takes a good 12 months of prac­tice un­til you’ll be good enough to com­fort­ably in­stall to high enough stan­dards for lux­ury ve­hi­cles,” she says.

“PPF in­stal­la­tion is very new to Aus­tralia but mas­sive through­out the rest of the world. I love the op­por­tu­nity I have to grow the aware­ness of this in­dus­try.”


When most peo­ple think of jobs as­so­ci­ated with road re­pairs, traf­fic con­trollers – those who man­age traf­fic at road work­sites and events that re­quire a road clo­sure – may not im­me­di­ately spring to mind. Glass­door data re­veals a na­tional av­er­age base pay of $63,560. To be­come ac­cred­ited in Queens­land, a worker must com­plete an ap­proved train­ing course, which in­cludes in-class train­ing as well as in­dus­try place­ment at a road work site. Trainees must com­plete at least 20 hours’ prac­ti­cal ex­pe­ri­ence un­der the di­rect su­per­vi­sion of an ex­pe­ri­enced ac­cred­ited traf­fic con­troller. They must also have held an open or pro­vi­sional driver's li­cence within the past five years to en­sure an un­der­stand­ing of ve­hi­cle ma­noeu­vra­bil­ity and brak­ing dy­nam­ics, and are sub­ject to of­fence his­tory, li­cence his­tory and other checks.


Fed­eral Gov­ern­ment fore­casts show about 1300 more tourism and travel ad­vis­ers are ex­pected to be needed in the next five years.

This in­cludes travel agents, who are hired to of­fer ad­vice on travel des­ti­na­tions, plan itin­er­ar­ies, and book travel ar­range­ments for in­di­vid­u­als and groups.

Trav­ellers con­stantly look for in­ter­est­ing new des­ti­na­tions and of­ten turn to travel agents as a trusted source, so agents may need to travel to new places them­selves to ex­pe­ri­ence them.

A com­mon qual­i­fi­ca­tion is a Cer­tifi­cate III in Travel, which typ­i­cally in­volves a prac­ti­cal work place­ment. A Diploma of Travel and Tourism or a Bach­e­lor of Busi­ness (Tourism Man­age­ment) are also avail­able for agents who want to work in a su­per­vi­sory or man­age­ment role in the sec­tor.

PayS­cale Aus­tralia re­ports the av­er­age travel agent earns a $38,468 salary, al­though this can in­crease with sale com­mis­sions.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.