The Courier-Mail

No shift in overseas flight plan

- ROBYN IRONSIDE

QANTAS is holding firm on its planned return to regular internatio­nal services on October 31, despite the Prime Minister’s admission that the majority of Australian­s will not be vaccinated against COVID-19 until 2022.

The airline announced in February internatio­nal flights would recommence to most of its preCOVID destinatio­ns in late October, instead of July, based on the federal government’s vaccinatio­n program.

At the time, Qantas CEO Alan Joyce (pictured) said the airline would require passengers on all but domestic and trans-Tasman flights to be vaccinated for their own safety as well as that of crew.

In a statement released late yesterday, Qantas said it was “closely monitoring the recent developmen­ts in the rollout of vaccines in Australia”.

“The government has not updated its timeline for the effective completion of the vaccine rollout and at this stage there’s no change to the planned restart of our internatio­nal flights,” said a Qantas spokeswoma­n.

“We’ll continue to have dialogue with the government.”

It follows the revelation last week, there was a small risk of blood clots developing as a result of the AstraZenec­a vaccinatio­n, prompting a recommenda­tion for people under 50 to discuss the issue with their doctor.

 ??  ??

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia