ASPARAGUS AND SNOW PEA RISOTTO WITH FETTA AND HAZELNUTS
SERVES 4. PREP 5 MINS. COOK 20 MINS
• 1L reduced-salt vegetable stock
• 1 tbs olive oil
• 1 brown onion, finely chopped
• 1 fennel bulb, ½ diced, ½ finely shaved
• 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
• 1 cup arborio rice
• ½ cup dry white wine
• pinch of salt
• 2 bunches of asparagus, cut into thirds
• 2 cups snow peas
• zest and juice of 1 lemon
• 50g fetta, crumbled
• ¼ bunch basil, leaves picked and torn • ¼ cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped
1 Warm stock in a saucepan over medium heat.
2 Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat. Cook onion and diced fennel for 4-5 minutes until soft and translucent. Add garlic and cook a further 1 minute. Increase heat to medium-high. Stir in rice and toast for one minute. Add wine, simmer until reduced by half.
3 Add hot stock, a ladleful at a time, waiting for each addition of stock to be absorbed before adding the next. This process will take about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally. If you run out of stock and the rice needs a little more cooking use more stock or hot water. Add asparagus in the last 5 minutes of cooking. Add in peas in the last minute of cooking.
4 Once the rice is al dente (soft but still with a little bite), stir through lemon zest and juice. Divide risotto between serving bowls and top with shaved fennel, fetta, basil and hazelnuts.