CARRIGAN UNHAPPY WITH POOR FORM
BRONCOS forward Pat Carrigan admits his form in 2021 has been poor as coach Kevin Walters puts the entire Brisbane squad on notice after axing million-dollar man Anthony Milford.
The selection bombshell has left the entire Broncos playing group wary of their own position as Walters “draws a line in the sand” in a bid to stamp out mediocrity at the club.
After a 1-4 start to the season, Carrigan said the players knew they had to find winning form or risk being dropped to the Intrust Super Cup.
“It’s pretty clear if you want to be a Bronco, you have to win a footy match,” Carrigan said.
“(Kevvie) just addressed everyone and it was quite clear.
“For some of us, our performances haven’t been up to scratch.
“Kevvie is a passionate Bronco and he knows what he wants to see in that jersey.
“He said he hasn’t been seeing that so with that will come changes and I’m fully supportive of Kevvie making those decisions for where we want to go to this season.”
Carrigan makes his return this week against the
Panthers after serving a onematch suspension for a grade one crusher tackle in Round 4.
The 23-year-old has copped criticism for his performance this season, having made poor handling errors in the opening rounds
of the competition as well as being steamrolled by Melbourne centre Justin Olam two weeks ago.
Carrigan conceded he was not pleased with the way he had been playing recently and hoped to use Thursday’s clash as a chance to improve.
“I haven’t been that happy with my own performance,” he said.
“I’ve probably drifted away from the standard I was at last year.
“A good thing for me is that I’ve only had three or four games so far and I know where I want to be.
“I’ve had chats with Kevvie about what I want to achieve and where he thinks I can get to and he’s the best man to help me improve.
“Individually, I’m not quite happy with where I’m at (but) Thursday is a good opportunity for me to get back with Payne (Haas) and some of the other guys and put in a performance that I’m happy with.”