Nutty chocolate caramel slice
makes / 24 pieces prep / 6 hours cook / 17 minutes
140g (1 1⁄2 cups) rolled oats 70g (1⁄2 cup) pecans 100g pitted medjool dates 20g (1⁄4 cup) desiccated coconut
1 tsp ground cinnamon 60ml (1⁄4 cup) extra-virgin coconut oil
2 tsp maple syrup FILLING: 270g (1 3⁄4 cups) roasted peanuts
100g pitted medjool dates 60ml (1⁄4 cup) coconut milk or coconut cream
1 1⁄2 tbsp extra-virgin coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract 100g (about 1) peeled banana, broken into pieces TOPPING: 150g dairy-free dark chocolate, broken into pieces
3 tsp macadamia oil
1. For the filling, place peanuts in a bowl and cover with water. Set aside for eight hours or overnight to soak.
2. Preheat oven to 180C/160C fan-forced. Grease base and sides of a 28 x 18cm (base measurement) slice pan. Line with baking paper, allowing sides to overhang.
3. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Sprinkle with the oats and pecans. Bake for 15 minutes or until lightly toasted. Set aside to cool.
4. Transfer the oats and pecans to a food processor. Process until finely ground. Add the dates, coconut, cinnamon, oil and syrup. Process until well combined. Press firmly over base of prepared pan. Use the back of a spoon to smooth surface. Place in fridge to firm.
5. Meanwhile, place drained peanuts in a high-speed blender or food processor. Blend until finely chopped. Use a spatula to scrape down the side of the blender occasionally. Add remaining filling ingredients and blend until smooth, scraping down the side occasionally. 6. Spoon filling over prepared base. Smooth the surface. Place in the fridge for 10 minutes to set.
7. For topping, place chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on low, in 30-second bursts, until melted. Add oil and stir until smooth and combined.
8. Spread the topping over the filling. Place the slice in the fridge for two hours or overnight, until firm. Lift out of pan and cut into 24 pieces. Store in the fridge.