Air con­di­tioner catches fire

The Free Press (Corowa) - - FRONT PAGE - BY JAR­RYD BARCA

Luck­ily the only dam­age was to an air con­di­tion­ing unit, caused by an elec­tri­cal fault.

Two el­derly Corowa res­i­dents no­ticed smoke was es­cap­ing their air con­di­tioner when they made the call to 000.

One res­i­dent put the ex­tin­guisher on the air con­di­tioner upon the fire fight­ers’ ar­rival but the unit was still burn­ing in­side, forc­ing a team in breath­ing ap­pa­ra­tus to take the unit apart and use a Co2 ex­tin­guisher.

Corowa Sta­tion Com­man­der Lind­say Bush said it’s a timely re­minder to have all elec­tri­cal equip­ment up to speed and safe for the sum­mer months.

“It’s just lucky that no other part of the house was dam­aged. If that same thing hap­pens at 2am in the morn­ing it would have been dev­as­tat­ing, that house would prob­a­bly be gone,” he said.

Mr Bush said peo­ple must “make sure their air con­di­tion­ers are reg­u­larly ser­viced to pre­vent some­thing like that hap­pen­ing in the fu­ture”.

Crew mem­bers ex­tin­guished the flames, mon­i­tored the homes to en­sure its safety and iso­lated the power and ad­min­is­tered oxy­gen to the el­derly res­i­dents who had in­haled a po­ten­tial dan­ger­ous amount of smoke un­til am­bu­lance ar­rived.

The re­main­der of the house was un­dam­aged and no one was in­jured.

Fire & Res­cue NSW 268 Sta­tion Corowa was called to a fire on Jan­uary 1.

Luck­ily the only thing dam­aged in the fire was the air con­di­tioner, with fire fight­ers say­ing it could have been much worse.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.