Boyer scoreboard sight for sore eyes
A NEW scoreboard was unveiled at Boyer Oval just in time for the Eagles to topple SFL ladder leaders Claremont on Saturday.
The ground’s goalposts — deemed unsafe — were also replaced in the 50-50 joint funding effort by the Derwent Valley Council and the State Government.
Member for Lyons Guy Barnett said the $34,917 upgrade was part of the 201718 Major Grants Program.
“Boyer has a proud history as the home of the highly successful New Norfolk District Football Club, as well as the Molesworth Cricket Club, and I’m thrilled to be supporting what is undoubtedly a major score for the Derwent Valley,” he said.
Although the misaligned goalposts were the cause of some discussion at Saturday’s game, New Norfolk District Football Club president Sally Coleman said the replacement was necessary for safety reasons and the posts would be straightened.
Ms Coleman said it was nice to be able to see the scores from the other side of the ground now.
“We had a fairly old scoreboard before and this one is heaven,” she said.
“There are lots of things at our ground that need doing and just for these things to be done, that’s signs of things that are going to happen.”
Ms Coleman said talks had begun with Mr Barnett about plans for upgrades to the grandstands and change rooms at Boyer Oval.
Stage one of the grandstand upgrades was allocated $100,000 in the state budget last week.
“With the girls’ football now the change rooms need upgrading but I think our greatest necessity is our grandstand,” Ms Coleman said.