The Gold Coast Bulletin



A MELBOURNE man has been hospitalis­ed with horrific burns after his hot water bottle split in his lap.

The 20-year-old had just fired up his Xbox for a night of gaming and had placed the hot water bottle across his lap to keep himself warm.

But the bottle split, pouring boiling hot water across his lap, stomach and abdomen. “When I got to him, he was throwing his clothes off, screaming that he was on fire,” his mum, Marie Macheras, said. “He jumped into a cold shower immediatel­y and I called an ambulance, but he just kept yelling that he was on fire.”

Her son was taken to The Alfred hospital with second and third degree burns and underwent surgery for a skin graft earlier this week.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia