The Gold Coast Bulletin
Power won’t appeal Lycett’s four-game ban for tackle
PORT Adelaide won’t challenge Scott Lycett’s four-match ban for his dangerous tackle on Ned McHenry in Showdown 49.
The ruckman was slapped with the four-game suspension for the tackle on McHenry, which knocked the young Adelaide forward out and led to him being subbed off with concussion in the first quarter on Saturday night.
The Power had been hoping for a three-game ban for the incident, which was graded as careless conduct, severe impact and high contact.
Although Lycett pleaded guilty on Tuesday night, the tribunal agreed with AFL QC Jeff Gleeson that four games was the appropriate sanction, given the way McHenry’s head hit the ground, the potential for further injury and how it compared to similar tackles.
Port stated on Wednesday morning that the club would not appeal the length of the ban.
“Scott pleaded guilty to all elements of the AFL’s charge and on that basis, we accept the tribunal’s sanction,” said Port Adelaide general manager of football, Chris Davies. “Unfortunately, mistakes can be made in the heat of the moment.
“Scott has privately expressed his remorse to Ned McHenry and has also done so publicly. As a club, we wish Ned well for his recovery.”
On Tuesday night after the penalty was handed down, Lycett said he was “very remorseful” for what occurred.
Lycett will miss the Power’s matches against Western Bulldogs (home), Collingwood (away), Fremantle (home) and Geelong (home). In the wake of the tackle, Lycett has been subject to threats on social media.
Port’s senior assistant coach Michael Voss said they were “gutless”, while star Crow Taylor Walker said he hoped “to god” they weren’t Adelaide members.