Fraser Coast sports precinct controversy
FRASER Coast councillor has claimed the region’s sporting groups should help foot the bill for the construction of the Nikenbah Sports Precinct to help stem council spending.
Councillor Denis Chapman made the explosive claim as the council continues to make ground on the controversial development, with stage one of the 15-year, five-stage project nearing completion.
Earlier this year, the Fraser Coast Regional Council confirmed it was in lease negotiations with Hervey Bay Netball and Oztag groups and Football Queensland Wide Bay to move to the precinct in January, once the netball courts and football fields are completed.
But Cr Chapman, who has been a long-standing opponent of the project, said he felt the clubs who would benefit from the project should help conA tribute to the development and management of the site.
He did not elaborate on how much should be contributed but said the money shouldn’t entirely come from the council’s budget.
“The community has always had a precedent set where sporting land is leased and they go and do all the work, it’s been like that for years,” Cr Chapman said.
“What I find is all the sporting bodies out there are getting all these facilities, like clubhouses and fields, given to them.
“My biggest concerns are how sporting clubs have not paid any money and sporting bodies have not come forward to support it. So until we start seeing some funding start coming from these bodies, it will be very hard for me to support the development.”
The Fraser Coast Sport Precinct, from the air on October 18, 2018.