Just the beginning
The Qantas-PressReader partnership has been a winwin-win for passengers, the airline and “on-board” publishers because:
• It provides more choice and a better digital reading experience for travellers
• It increases customer engagement, while reducing fuel consumption and environmental impacts for the carrier
• It increases publishers’ brand exposure through a massive global audience they would never be able to reach on their own, helping them grow revenues and audited circulation in new markets.
Within a month of launching the Qantas app integrated with PressReader, its iPad app ranking in the iOS app store went from 310th to 8th position in the Australia Travel category. NewsLifeMedia, which operates titles like Vogue
Australia and GQ Australia, acted as a marketing launch partner and ended up being the most widely read publications by Qantas passengers.
But what was really interesting was the breadth of publications that were read by passengers. Large, small, domestic and international – the number, type and size of magazines and newspapers enjoyed on PressReader by Qantas customers highlighted the diversity of people’s content interests and their growing appetite for quality journalism regardless of who published it. The common feedback from many readers was how delighted they were to discover and read publications they never knew existed before.
This is just the beginning of the shift into digital for this industry and the rethinking of how content is distributed to travellers. PressReader is now working with airlines on a number of innovative initiatives designed to: • Use premium content to drive their brand experiences through a multitude of digital touchpoints
• Integrate quality content into their marketing pipelines, including loyalty programs, lounges, social media, email campaigns, advertising and crosspromotional partnership with publishers
• Deliver more sophisticated levels of personalization and targeting based on who customers are, where they live, where they’re travelling, what their interests are, etc.
From delighting passengers with longer term access to PressReader before and after trips, to entertaining travellers with gifted issues of their favourite publications throughout their journey, the sky’s the limit when it comes to using quality content as an immersive marketing tool in the amplification of both the airline and publisher brands.