A year be­hind bars for man af­ter at­tack

The Riverine Herald - - GAME ON SUMMER -

A KYABRAM man who stran­gled, kicked, bit and jumped on his then part­ner be­cause he didn’t want her to go to a party will spend 12 months be­hind bars.

The of­fender ap­peared via vide­olink in Echuca Mag­is­trates Court on Wed­nes­day, plead­ing guilty to reck­lessly caus­ing in­jury, false im­pris­on­ment, reck­less con­duct en­dan­ger­ing life and breach of a fam­ily vi­o­lence in­ter­ven­tion or­der.

The court heard the man at­tacked the fe­male vic­tim on July 7, 2018 af­ter he woke up to find her get­ting ready to go to a party.

‘‘The vic­tim woke up and at­tempted to wake the ac­cused, but he told her to ‘f*** off’,’’ po­lice pros­e­cu­tor Act­ing Sergeant Sally Man­nell said.

‘‘When the ac­cused woke up he found the vic­tim al­most ready to leave for the party. He yelled at her and told her not to go.’’

The court heard the man then grabbed the woman’s hair and arm and be­gan to kick her and jump on her.

‘‘He then took a large knife and held it to his own chest, threat­en­ing to stab him­self if she left,’’ Act­ing Sgt Man­nell said.

‘‘The vic­tim fled to the bed­room at the back of the house and be­gan tex­ting her friends, ask­ing for help, but no one replied.

‘‘When the ac­cused found her in the bed­room he de­manded the vic­tim’s mo­bile but she re­fused.

‘‘He then pushed her back onto the bed and be­gan to stran­gle her. She couldn’t in­hale, but only ex­hale. When he fi­nally let her go she couldn’t speak and be­gan to cry.’’

The woman placed her knee on the man’s chest in an at­tempt to push him away so she could es­cape.

‘‘The ac­cused then bit her on her left fore­arm and left shoul­der, then pushed her into the bath­room,’’ Act­ing Sgt Man­nell said.

‘‘The woman at­tempted un­suc­cess­fully to climb out the bath­room win­dow. The ac­cused dragged her back in as she tried to es­cape and be­gan hit­ting her.

‘‘When the vic­tim’s mother ar­rived later, the vic­tim es­caped on foot.’’

The pros­e­cu­tor said the of­fender had since made mul­ti­ple calls, texts and so­cial me­dia posts mak­ing threats to the vic­tim’s fam­ily or threat­en­ing he would harm or kill him­self.

The man’s de­fence lawyer Clare Wilkin said her client had been af­fected by metham­phetamine at the time and asked the man be handed a cor­rec­tions or­der.

‘‘But this hap­pened one month af­ter his last cor­rec­tions or­der fin­ished. What does that say?’’ mag­is­trate John Bent­ley said.

The man was placed un­der a twoyear full in­ter­ven­tion or­der to pro­tect his ex-part­ner and sen­tenced to 12 months in jail, in­clud­ing 102 days al­ready served, with a non-pa­role pe­riod of five months.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.