Gannawarra is gearing for 2019 e-waste bans
TWO SITES in the Gannawarra Shire have been selected to receive upgrades in preparation for the Victorian Government’s e-waste ban to be introduced on July 1, 2019.
This follows a $15 million commitment from the Victorian government earlier in 2018 to upgrade more than 130 e-waste collection sites across Victoria.
Transfer stations at Kerang and Cohuna have been selected as sites to receive funding for upgrades.
“The sites were selected by the Victorian Government based on population and accessibility to nearby smaller towns,” Cr Gibson said.
The old Kerang Transfer Station office is scheduled to be demolished during November, with new e-waste disposal and recycling sheds to be built at both the Kerang and Cohuna transfer stations over the coming months.
To help further reduce landfill, Lalbert Transfer Station has received a new recycling trailer while the Quambatook Transfer Station has seen improvements to accommodate waste and recycling
“The upgrades will mean that all e-waste including any item that has batteries, a plug or cord will be able to be recycled,” Cr Gibson said. “In the lead up to the Victorian e-waste ban Council in partnership with Sustainability Victoria will continue to raise awareness around e-waste and how to dispose of these items correctly.”
Go to gannawarra.vic.gov.au/Property/Rubbish/TransferStations#section-6