Co­huna hay fire burns 300 bales

The Riverine Herald - - NEWS - By Char­mayne Al­li­son

MORE than 300 hay bales were de­voured by flames af­ter soar­ing tem­per­a­tures sparked a fire at a Co­huna prop­erty on Thurs­day.

Oc­cur­ring at the cor­ner of McMil­lans Rd and Ma­jors roads, the fire (pic­tured right) started at 3.20pm and was still burn­ing on Fri­day.

‘‘It was caused by spon­ta­neous com­bus­tion. It got too hot and with all the mois­ture around, it was per­fect con­di­tions for a fire,’’ Co­huna Fire Brigade cap­tain Mathew Trigg said.

Mr Trigg said the fire was safe and be­ing mon­i­tored closely by the brigade.

‘‘We've had a lot of calls to triple zero and were called out to the fire for no need so we just want to make sure ev­ery­one knows we're aware,’’ he said.

‘‘Last night the crews de­vel­oped a plan and have put it into place. We'll keep do­ing rou­tine in­spec­tions and assess­ments to en­sure it stays safe.’’

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.