The Saturday Paper
Rhubarb compote with fennel pollen Makes 1 × 375g jar
Time: overnight + 20 minutes
• 1 bunch rhubarb, about 540g (370g prepped weight), cut into 3cm pieces and washed • 80g castor sugar • ½ tsp fennel pollen • salt flakes and black pepper • 70ml orange juice
1. Lie half the rhubarb in a saucepan, then add half the sugar and half the pollen. Season lightly.
2. Repeat with the remaining rhubarb, sugar, pollen and seasoning.
3. Pour over the orange juice, cover the saucepan with a lid or a tea towel and let it sit overnight.
4. Have a look at your rhubarb; there should be a nice amount of liquid pooling at the bottom of the saucepan. Place the saucepan over a medium to high heat and bring to a boil, giving it a little stir as it comes to the boil.
5. Once it comes to the boil, turn down the heat a little and simmer rapidly for a further seven to eight minutes, by which stage the rhubarb will be broken down a little and the liquid will be looking slightly thick and sticky.
6. Allow to cool and store in the fridge.