Weir stayer looks the Man
Intriguing race to say the least. 1. SIXTIES GROOVE is deserved favourite on back of two very soft wins over 2000m here. He does shoot up to 2500m, where he has never won, and also up to 59kg, 3kg more than he carried last start. Plus the tempo of the race could make it a sprint home. Can he use his great closing speed to the same effect with the big weight? Undoubtedly the horse beat but I’m prepared to gamble on 5. CROCODILE ROCK improving enough to really test the favourite. Things didn’t go his way when resuming here behind Serenade The Stars three weeks ago. Has a good second-up record and don’t forget he split Almandin Aooft over this course distance last spring. Reckon he can lead here, set his own tempo and with 5kg pull in the weights, hold off Sixties Groove. Fingers crossed. 4. KILIMANJARO will also be improved with his first-up effort and gets to right distance range here. Very sparingly raced has some quality about him. 7. SERENADE THE STARS did well over this course and trip three weeks ago a repeat will see him in the finish again.
6. PREZADO does look hard to beat here. Resuming here but first-up last campaign he was beaten a length by Nature Strip over the 1100m here. Looked good in jumpout win at Flemington last week and doesn’t strike an overly hot field here. The one to catch. The hard-fit, in-form galloper is 3. INVINCIBLE AL. Scored a soft win at Morphettville and then charged home to win as he liked over this course and trip. Since had an easy time in a Cranbourne trial to ready him for this and will be hard to beat. 4. BANDIPUR took an age get to Rebel Miss at Randwick last start but he does drop 3kg here. The only time he’s been at this track and trip was when a good second to Prezado but he meets the winner worse at the weights this time. There is a roughie with a chance here in shape of 10. RITORNO. Liked the way he ran on behind Brave Song here three weeks ago and also benefited from a recent Cranbourne trial.
11. SERGEANT was super impressive winning at Echuca last start. Looked to be a bit keen and trapped wide on speed but pressed forward take up the running and then exploded in the straight to win by a big space. Looks endowed with above average ability and this looks a perfect next step for him. 2. RUBAN BLEU has been very good in his three city tries and drawn to get the lovely run here. Will just need some luck to be in the finish again. 8. EAST INDIAMAN went to Balaklava and scored a very soft win at a short price last time. Stable has good opinion of him and he’ll be in this for a long way. 6. TAVISAN is former Kiwi who led all the way to win well at Cranbourne at his first Aussie run. Natural improver who shapes as a strong chance again.
Think 6. SHARING represents good value here. Wasn’t suited by the sit and sprint when resuming here a month ago but still got home okay behind Miss Gunpowder. Form out of that race is sound as Miles Of Krishan, who finished fourth, has since won twice in town. She is a winner over this course and distance and only beaten 3 lens by the very handy Spanish Reef over this track and trip in February. Drawn ideally to get the gun run and rates highly. 4. HARMATTAN is resuming but did well in a recent jumpout here and looks tuned up for a bold bid
remaining races. And with genuine reason given his emphatic wins at his last two starts at this track. Granted he has to carry 59kg and has to step up 2500m but punters will not be frightened off him.
Moss ‘N’ dale (race 8) normally goes well at this track but he has plenty to contend with given hasn’t raced for over a month and has drawn awkwardly here. Was twice G3 placed when last in work in 3yo fillies grade and that form stacks up well for this. Best distance may be longer but will sprint well fresh here. 8. SPANNER HEAD has won her only start over this course and distance and boxed on well behind Naantali at the Valley last week. Has to be included. Likewise 7. BELLARIA, who was just nutted at Sandown last start and is right her top now.
There is a tough of wow factor about 11. GOLD MAG. Bolted in at Bendigo on debut and then went to the midweeks at Sandown and couldn’t have been more impressive in trouncing his rivals. Put the issue beyond doubt clocking 10.64 between the 400m-200m and still came home with 11.64 last 200m, the best of the day. This is tougher but kept fresh and may simply be too good for them. 6. DOUBLE JEOPARDY goes well down the straight here, beating Ducimus here in May and not disgraced behind Brave Song last time. Drawn the grandstand side of the straight course, which could be advantageous. 7. TAHI is drawn the rails and found the line well behind Overstep here three weeks ago. In top form and sound chance again. 12. ILLUMICON
in barrier 13. Will be helped with the claim for Liam Riordan but punters may want slightly better odds than what are currently on offer.
AT THE JUMPOUTS
Poetic Dream (race 7) was devastating in a Flemington jumpout recently. He jumped well, shot straight to the front and the further they went, further he was in front. Rare to see such a big gap an resumed as a gelding and was good winning at Sandown last start. He will be even better here.
Sweating on 19. THE PASSAGE gaining a start here. This looks a perfect race for him. Loved his effort when chasing home the smart Mantastic at Caulfield a fortnight ago. Think he will be suited by the extra distance and drawn to get run of the race. Will go close if he gets a start.
3. I BOOGI failed at his only start at this trip but that was a while ago and he is much more seasoned now. Up in weight but down a lot class after his fourth to Morton’s Fork last week. Drawn horribly but just needs some luck to figure here.
13. HARIPOUR beat Mantastic at Caulfield and then battled on Sandown a month ago. Getting out to his right distance now and will give it big shake. Likewise
5. THE STATESMAN, another import who is all the better for his recent runs. Watch the market on 17. SIR EDWIN LANDSEER, having his first start here for Team Williams.
Think 7. POETIC DREAM is a potential star. Showed great talent in Europe and then was
open class jumpout and his overall time was slick too. Has enormous talent and is primed for a big first-up showing.
THE STATS SPEAK
Theanswermyfriend (race 8) seems to have conditions to suit which will allow him to return winning form. Has won two and second twice from four starts at this course and distance and all his wins have been on firm surfaces, which heavily backed at his Aussie debut at this track in March and looked a bit keen when close up behind Nozomi. Has a trial at Wodonga last month and then went like a bomb in jumpout here, winning by a massive space with his head on his chest. Reckon the straight course plays into his hands here and he’ll be very hard to stop. 2. VOODOO LAD has fitness on his side. Took a good one in Vega Magic to beat him at Caulfield last start. Yet to win down the straight but did run second to Redkirk Warrior in a Newmarket here last year. He’ll go well. 1. HOME OF THE BRAVE is a former European sprinter with great stakes record. Has trialled very well in Sydney for his Aussie debut and if he anywhere near his best, he’ll go very close here. 10. BRAVE SONG won well here last start and although this is harder, he can run a race.
I’m hoping 6. THEANSWERMYFRIEND is allowed to roll to the front and do his own thing, which he should be able do from the good draw. If so, he can replicate some good form over this course and distance, including a Listed win last year and beaten lip by Sovereign Nation in class in March. Should be right at his top after two runs back. Think 8. MR GARCIA is a big watch horse here at big odds. Brilliant winner his Aussie debut here on Oaks day last year and given time off after fifth in the Ballarat Cup. No doubt his best journeys are slightly longer but reckon he’ll be storming home here. 13. SOUCHEZ has run some nice races here and he’s better for his first-up effort, while 5. COOL CHAP is drawn to get the cosy run and can test these.
Sticking with 6. MANTASTIC. Simply too good for his rivals at Caulfield last start after a sound second to Guizot at Caulfield and meets that horse again here but 1.5kg better off the weights. Progressing through grades well, this big track looks made to order for him and he’ll go very close. 5. GUIZOT the danger off the strength of that win over Mantastic and he’ll be in the finish again. 8. SIKANDARABAD did a good job to win at
Sandown midweeks and is an improving stayer with sound claims again. 10. AL GALAYEL was ridden upside down at Rosehill last start after chasing home Haripour and Mantastic at Caulfield. Big hope again.
he gets tomorrow. Ready to show his best.
Gold Mag (race 5) faces a stiff rise in class but there was lot to like about the way be brained his rivals at Sandown last start. Clocked a slight 10.64 from the 400m to the 200m and a 11.64 for final 200m in a brilliant display. Likely to start a very short priced favourite and will go close.