Multaja to score again
Fancy the chances of 4. MERRIEST. She has a great secondup record, including beating Petition at Caulfield second-up last campaign. Trapped a little wide on speed but still boxed on well behind Chiavari month ago at Caulfield. Drawn better this time, should get the nice run just of speed and be hard to hold out at the finish. Frightened 5 ICONOCLASM, who resumes from a break here. Has a lot of quality and, although he’s better off over more ground, reckon he’ll be storming home at the end while fresh. Also no doubting the class of 6. TULIP, who goes well enough fresh and does like this track. She won in G3 grade over this course distance in February. Thought she could have done a little more in her recent jumpout but still must be included. 3. EUSEBIO is great form but just wonder if he looks for a bit more ground now.
13. THE PASSAGE was cruising into the straight and then let loose to win as he liked at Sandown and did beat a handy horse in Ocean’t Fourteen. His effort before that in this grade when chasing home Mantastic was solid. Placed his only start this course and distance and drawn to be a lot closer to the speed time. Think he can win again.
7. RED CHOUX’S defeated The Passage at Sandown in a driving finish last month but meets him 1kg worse here. Went to Adelaide and beat subsequent winner Miss Siska before having an off day at Morphettville last start. Can improve sharply and this is his pet distance. 11, PAREMUUS BOY is not without a chance here. Got left a bit flatfooted at the 600m mark when they sprinted but warmed to his task in straight behind Mantastic at Caulfield, clocking second best last 200m of the race. Drawn awkwardly but will be thearebouts. 1, CURRAGH is very consistent and drop back to this grade helps.
5. MULTAJA will be the shortest-priced favourite all day and will win. Simply outstanding trouncing Pippie and Fidelia here three weeks ago probably even better suited now going to 1200m. Sectional times were brilliant that day, her last 200m in a super slick 11.04 when she wasn’t fully extended. Would have to have a really off day to lose this. 1. ENBIHAAR brings the class the race, having finished second in Blue Diamond. Given a very soft time in a recent jumpout and resuming at 1200m suits. Does have to give away weight to her rivals but bound to be storming home. Reckon 2. KINKY BOOM needed the outing at Sandown and she’s also better suited at 1200m this time around. 9. BELZELLA battled on behind Multaja last start and is racing well.
2. SERENADE THE STARS was reported to have the thumps, which explains his disappointing effort behind Jaameh at Flemington two weeks ago when favourite. Beat Tiffany’s Lass and Thunder Cloud, both rivals tomorrow, before that and Red Alto, who finished fourth, then won in Sydney. The claim helps here. Just needs an ounce of luck from an awkward draw
10. TIFFANY’S LASS is very consistent and drawn to get the favours on speed. She boxed on well behind Pioneertown here last start and meets that horse 4.5kg better this time around. Expecting from 6. THUNDER CLOUD. Well supported to start favourite and probably got a little too far back before running on late behind Pioneertown here. Can test these. 3. PIONEERTOWN is in cracking form but paid the price with a rise in weight and he’s drawn badly, so may have to do a bit of work to get up on speed.
Going to stick with 6. OUR MALAMBO. Former Kiwi who did a great job to win at Randwick at his Aussie debut and then stepped up 1400m battled on well enough to finish fourth to Irithea at Rosehill. Right at his top now and four of his five wins have been at this trip. Hoping he can get across from an awkward draw and then rally in the straight. 2. PRINCESS OF QUEENS worked a little hard to cross and lead and than ran out of puff at Caulfield on resuming. Some query about where she ends up in the run from this draw but she has some class and will improve sharply. 3. MOONLOVER is just so consistent she races well here. Will give it a big shake. Got a lot of time for 12. SHOKORA, who has plenty of ability. Resuming here off a soft jump out and drawn to get run midfield. Just needs luck. 10. ISTRIA is also a chance but drawn very wide and coming back in distance.
Gambling on the class of 1. OUR VENICE BEACH, who makes his Australian debut here. European form last year was pretty good, including a G3 win and a length 3rd in the G1 French derby behind Shakeel. Also chased home the star stayer Cracksman at York this time last year. Has his share of weight but drawn to get the nice run and Team Williams bound to have him fighting fit. Big chance. 2. PACODALI had 35 days between runs and probably just needed the outing behind Morton’s Fork here three weeks back after being heavily backed. Goes well this trip and likes the track. Big threat. 5. TRAP FOR FOOLS has been given a fresh up since a good second to Sixties Groove at Flemington. He’ll cross from the wide draw and be handy on speed. Can take running down. 3. MORTON’S FORK did a good job here last time and will be in the firing line again despite weight rise.
5 BRUTAL was superb leading all the way to win on debut at Caulfield. And his sectional splits backed it up, clocking 10.94 from 400-200 and a cruising 11.23 last 200m to win by five lengths. Third placegetter was Humma Humma, who just beaten by Sunlight last week. Went through his gears well in a recent jumpout, winning by a decent space and clocking smart time hard held. The one to beat.
4. OCEAN KNIGHT is a little underrated. Loved his debut win at Caulfield and then the 1400m trip came a bit too soon for him behind Vassilator at Flemington. Resuming here but looked very good in a recent jumpout.
2. SEBERATE will be better as the races get longer but he’s more than capable of sprinting well fresh. 1. MARCEL FROM MADRID has jumped out well for his return here and capable of testing these.
11. SUPER TOO has amazing speed and all five of her wins have been at this trip. She set a record breaking speed at Randwick in March over the 1000m and it took Redzel to run her down. Has trialled brilliantly in Sydney for her return here and is a winner here. Will have to do some work from wide draw but hard to run down. 9. BANDIPUR has an edge in fitness and simply too good for Prezado at Flemington last time. He’ll go close again. 5. FAATINAH is resuming but has won three first-up tries and also a winner off a let-up in Dubai last campaign. Not sure if this is his track but will be hard to beat. 3. QUILISTA is resuming but goes very well fresh and drawn to get the gun run.
Giving 14. MALAISE another chance here. Ran on nicely late behind Call Me Handsome here three weeks ago and the little freshen up will help him. Drawn to be able to cruise across into midfield and then unleash in the straight. Yet miss a place three tries at this track. 4. MOSS ‘N’ DALE crossed over to sit on speed and battled on behind Theanswermyfriend at Flemington. Drawn to get more favours this time around and the claim helps him. 9. THEANSWERMYFRIEND was back to his best at Flemington last start when allowed to roll along in front. Has failed his only two tries at this track and this is the upper limit of his distance range but will be in the firing line again. 7. ODEON was good first-up and helped by rise in distance here.