Sunlight to burn her rivals
Prepared to stick with 5. RANIER. Stable says he’s still a work in progress who will be better the autumn but reckon he’s going well enough now to test these. No doubts he should have won here two starts back and then clocked best last 800, 600, 400 and 200 of the race to wear down Yulong January at Caulfield. His last 200m was the fourth fastest all day. Don’t see any reason why he won’t handle the extra 200m, even better suited back at Flemington and he’s drawn to get all the favours. 6. WILD PLANET won’t be far away. Tremendous effort to sit wide without cover and hold off Ranier here and then again trapped wide without cover when a fighting third to Ranier at Caulfield. He’s tough and talented and drawn better this time around. 9. SYD’S COIN is a smokey with a chance. He didn’t have whole lot of luck behind Wild Planet here and then dropped in grade, tracked very wide on the turn, too good at Caulfield over this trip. Definite each-way chance. 11. SACCHARO caught the eye when making up ground in the Caulfield Guineas three weeks ago and only just beaten by Amphitrite here before that. Back to this track a big plus. 2. VASSILATOR chance if he can repeat his Caulfield Guineas run and 14. ADANA won well at Warwick Farm last start but has drawn badly here.
2. VERRY ELLEEGANT is hard to go past. Great effort to finish hard and beat Aristia at Caulfield two weeks ago when the pattern for most races of day was to be on pace. Looked good behind Amphitrite here before that. Has a touch of class and this distance at this big track looks tailor-made for her. The one to beat. 4. ARISTIA is still a maiden but she did well sitting just off speed and then sprinting hard in the straight to beat all but Verry Elleegant at Caulfield. Think she’ll also welcome the wider expanses of Flemington at this distance range. 5. SIZZLEME is consistent in this grade. Is stakes placed behind Vassilator here, thrashed Yulong Meteor three starts back and then fought on last time behind Verry Elleegant at Caulfield. Will get the gun run here. Watch for 9. MAUI GIRL to a bit of race. Gave nothing else chance in winning on debut at Murray Bridge and then went straight to Listed grade at Morphettville and finished alongside Stars Of Carrum and Seberate (both live chances in the Derby tomorrow) after leading. Looks to have ability.
Impossible to tip against 1. OSBORNE BULLS on the strength of his terrific third to Redzel in The Everest at Randwick three weeks ago. Taken the extreme outside fence and charged home latter stages. He was also very brave in the G1 Rupert Clarke at Caulfield before that. Yet to be tried down straight and does have 59kg to contend with but
in grade and his class will get him home. He did beat Land Of Plenty Brave Song three starts back and they have both since won. 4. MISSROCK invariably runs well down the straight. It took Redkirk Warrior and Redzel to beat her in Lightning here in March then she wasn’t far away from Redkirk Warrior, Brave Smash and Merchant Navy in the Newmarket. Found the line strongly behind Ball Of Muscle when resuming at Caulfield and kept fresh since. A roughie here with a chance is 9. HAVASAY. Noticed him making a lot of late ground behind Ball Of Muscle at Caulfield three weeks ago. Should have finished much closer. Since had a soft trial at Cranbourne and does have a good second-up record. He beat subsequent Kosciuszko winner Belflyer in the Ramornie and was close up behind Spright at Doomben June. That horse ran a beauty in the Manikato last week. 8. WINTER BRIDE is fast and tough and in great form
can’t be left out.
Many consider Avilius to be a strong contender for the Melbourne Cup. That being case then 10. JAAMEH will take some beating here. Won first two tries over this course and distance before beaten a nostril by Avilius in The Bart Cummings here a month ago. Like the fact he’s been freshened and has drawn to get the perfect run here. Will be very hard to stop. 8. RUNAWAY looks lead on his own here and that’s the way he likes it. Pretty dominant in the end in the Geelong Cup and don’t forget he led all the way to win VRC St Leger here in April. He’ll take running down. 2. A PRINCE OF ARRAN caught the eye when
on late behind Yucatan in the Herbert Power at Caulfield. Strong stayer who will relish this track. Prepared to give 9. RISING RED another chance here. Nothing went right for him at Caulfield last start and he’s much better than that.
By any measure, 10. SUNLIGHT looked decidedly unlucky when beaten just over three lengths in the Manikato Stakes last week. She was held up until well into straight and again got hampered near the line. Not saying she would have won but she should have finished a lot closer. She is in fantastic form at the moment and her win two starts back when having to cross from a wide barrier carry 58kg was first rate. Back against her own age here, can settle on pace and can tough it out at the end. Was placed down the straight here on debut. 1. WRITTEN BY still gets a bit underrated despite his fantastic record. Gave nothing else chance in the Blue Sapphire at Caulfield. Yet to run down the straight but he did impress in a jump out here last week, beating lot of his rivals here. Will make his own luck on pace and take a running down. 2. ZOUSAIN was under a hard hold in the same Written By jump out, looking like he will have no issues with the straight course. It took a superstar in The Autumn Sun to run him down the Golden Rose and he’s been kept fresh since. Big danger. A roughie with a chance here is 5. LONG LEAF. He impressed in that Written By jump out last week and he will be storming home late. No doubt 6. DIPLOMATICO is pretty smart but he jumps dramatically in grade, first run down the straight and has this come too soon for him.
3. SHILLELAGH hasn’t won since she took out the Kennedy Mile at this meeting last year but she’s ready to bounce back tomorrow. Her last 600m of her barnstorming finish in the Epsom two runs back was outstanding, producing splits of 11.19, 10.75 and 11.23 to be beaten a length by the star Hartnell. Her final 200m split was the fastest of race. She then contested the Toorak at Caulfield, again got a mile back in the early stages but then unleashed in the straight to finish a closing fourth to Land Of Plenty and Hartnell. This big track looks perfect for her and she’s back against own sex. Big threat.
5. ALOISIA is ready to find her best form after an eye-catching effort when 3rd Shumookh at Caulfield two weeks back. Her last 400m sectional was second fastest of the entire meeting and her closing 200m split of 11.88 was the fastest all day. Stable has said she has progressed further since run and will be cherry ripe here. I’ve always been a big
13. OOHOOD fan reckon she can measure up here getting 7kg off the older mares. She was never going to be beat The Autumn Sun in Caulfield Guineas but still produced a great run to make up so much ground. Drawn to get a lovely run in midfield and only needs a bit of luck to be in the finish. One at big odds to run a race here is 8. BRING ME ROSES. Been waiting for her get back to this track and distance and she did find the line well behind Shoko at Caulfield last week. Will be finishing hard. Host of other chances in a tough race.
Think this can set up beautifully for 2. ARAMAYO. Will be plenty of speed here with the likes Thinkin’ Big, Savoie and Sikorsky all liking to be on pace. With a strong tempo, Aramayo will be able to settle midfield, relax and then unleash in the straight. He was good Spring Champion when beaten narrowly and not sure he was completely comfortable on the wet ground. Also really handled Moonee Valley last week but kept coming to the line in a dogged effort. No qualms about him seeing out the trip. Will take plenty of stopping. The genuine pace will also help 3. EXTRA BRUT. He was superb winning here two runs back and then Caulfield didn’t suit him last start when you needed to be on or near the pace. Back this big track is ideal for him. Don’t think the win of 4. STARS OF CARRUM at Moonee Valley last week was a fluke. Tracked into the race very well and strong on line. Another who will welcome the 2500m. 1. THINKIN’ BIG couldn’t beat Aramayo home in Spring Champion after he had a tough run. Back to his best at Caulfield when allowed to dictate in front. Not sure he’ll get his own way this time around but he’s still in the mix. Roughie with a chance is 14. SAVVY OAK.
I have to stick with 1. HARTNELL. What a grand horse he is. Just superb in winning the Epsom at Randwick and then tracked into the race well on turn, thought he was gone half way down straight but boxed on well when second to Land Of Plenty in the Toorak. Given a little freshen since, normally runs well at this track, has a wonderful record at this distance and drawn to get a nice run in midfield. He’ll look the winner at some stage. I’m not prepared to write off 16. PEACEFUL STATE after his failure at Caulfield two weeks ago. Run was better than it looked as he still made ground on a day when on-pace was advantaged. Great run in the Rupert Clarke before that when he was wide throughout. This big track and 1600m suits. Remember he was only just beaten by Grunt in the Australian Guineas here. 4. LAND OF PLENTY was brilliant winning the Toorak but he meets Hartnell 2.5kg worse. Still, he’s again drawn well and sure to be in the finish. 7. MISTER SEA WOLF is a knockout chance. Clocked fastest last 400m and second fastest last 200m when closing off behind Hartnell in the Epsom. Kept fresh since and easy trial winner two weeks back. 2. LE ROMAIN (classy), 11. CLIFF’S EDGE (will be on pace),
17. BEST OF DAYS (honest) and
18. ICONOCLASM (improving all the time) are other chances.
1. BOOKER represents great value here. Has won down the straight before and was only 3 lengths off Redkirk Warrior, Brave Smash Merchant Navy in the Newmarket here in March. Sat well back but stormed home late when just failing behind Winter Bride at Caulfield and then probably didn’t handle the wet at Caulfield two runs back. Firmer track surface suits and she’s drawn to advantage here, especially if she goes to the grandstand side. Will give a big sight. There was so much like about the way
6. RESIN toyed with her rivals in G3 grade at Randwick two weeks ago. It was a soft track, which she likes, but just as adept on firm ground. Bound to be running strongly. 4. I AM EXCITED was brilliant beating Eduardo (since won) over this course and distance and has been freshened up for this. Big threat again. 2. SNITTY KITTY is fast and has been without luck lately. Definite threat.