The Sunday Mail (Queensland)
Stalker banned from internet
A BRISBANE disability pensioner accused of threatening five New Zealanders including former school classmates using the internet has been granted bail.
Christopher Francis McCarty appeared before Magistrate Barry Cosgrove yesterday in Brisbane Magistrates Court on 10 charges, including seven of stalking and five of stalking with threats of violence.
Mr McCarty’s defence lawyer, Nick Hanly, told the court his client “accepts he has written these things” but argued he had “no intention of carrying out” the threats.
The threatening emails were allegedly sent to people Mr McCarty believed had “bullied” him at school or “upset” him in the past. Six women and two men were named as alleged victims.
Mr Hanly told the court Mr McCarty had been diagnosed with Asperger’s and presented as immature. Mr McCarty was arrested after New Zealand police contacted local police.
Magistrate Cosgrove agreed to release him on bail on condition that he reports twice a week to the Dutton Park police station and surrender his passport.
He will be banned from using the internet. He is due back in court on May 9.