Distracted drivers ring up repeat offences
MORE than 2000 Queenslanders are repeat offenders when it comes to flouting mobile phone laws.
Figures obtained by The Sunday Mail reveal that 55,657 motorists have been slapped with mobile phone infringement notices since 2015, with an alarming 2051 nabbed more than once.
This included 107 drivers who were caught three times within the three-year period and another nine who flouted the law on four occasions.
It follows a plea in last week’s Sunday Mail by fed-up police for distracted drivers to lock their phones in the boot.
Superintendent David Johnson of the Road Policing Command said he was disappointed with the behaviour of drivers.
“It’s a conscious choice to pick up that phone,” he said.
“Regardless of the speed they’re travelling at, they’re not paying attention to what’s in front of them or happening on the road around them.
“And they’re putting their lives, but equally as important every other life on the road at risk when they do it.”
Overall, the number of offending mobile phone-using motorists has declined by about 27 per cent since 2015.
But Transport Minister Mark Bailey said crashes caused by driver distraction were on the increase and warned of steeper penalties for repeat offenders.
“Drivers can be fined $378 and have three demerit points recorded if a mobile phone is in their hand and being used while driving,” he said.
“If they are caught again within a year they will receive double demerit points.”