Let’s not waste time, says ac­cused rob­ber

The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) - - NEWS - LIA HARRIS

AN al­leged armed rob­ber ex­tra­dited from Bri­tain told a Syd­ney court yes­ter­day that he wanted to plead guilty to nine no­to­ri­ous crimes from the 1980s.

Ian “Rab­bit” Steele had faced charges over armed rob­beries that took place in Syd­ney be­tween 1982 and 1987, in­clud­ing one in Strath­field in which more than $20,000 was stolen.

Po­lice said yes­ter­day Steele had been de­ported from the UK on Fri­day and was ar­rested by de­tec­tives from the Rob­bery and Se­ries Crime Squad on his ar­rival in Syd­ney.

He ap­peared in Par­ra­matta Bail Court yes­ter­day af­ter­noon and, rep­re­sent­ing him­self, told the court he would plead guilty to all charges.

“I don’t see the point in wast­ing peo­ple’s time and money on mat­ters that are just straight­for­ward guilty pleas,” he told the court.

“My wish is that they are all fi­nalised as quickly and eas­ily as pos­si­ble.”

The 58-year-old (pic­tured left in 1990) ap­peared from Surry Hills hold­ing cells wear­ing a white T-shirt and sport­ing a ban­dage on his left fore­arm. Steele is also charged with es­cap­ing cus­tody in 1983 and in 1986.

He will ap­pear again via video link at Cen­tral Lo­cal Court on Thurs­day.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.