Late Ste­vie J show breaks Pies’ hearts

GWS GIANTS 15.12 102 COLLING­WOOD 15.9 99

The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) - - SPORT - NEIL CORDY SPOT­LESS STA­DIUM

SUG­GES­TIONS Steve John­son is past it ap­pear to be pre­ma­ture af­ter the vet­eran stole a thrilling and coura­geous three­p­oint win over Colling­wood last night.

With the Giants trail­ing by three points and just 38 sec­onds left on the clock, the 33-year old roved bril­liantly off a pack to boot the win­ning goal.

While John­son pinched the win­ner it was Jeremy Cameron’s six goals that put him in a po­si­tion to do it by keep­ing GWS in the match af­ter the Mag­pies led for a large part of the con­test.

It was the Giants’ first win over Colling­wood and one of the gut­si­est in their short his­tory as they did it with se­ri­ous in­juries to three play­ers.

“It was a good char­ac­ter-build­ing win,” Giants coach Leon Cameron said.

“We are go­ing through a patch with in­juries, that’s our lot at the mo­ment but we just have to deal with it.

“I thought the guys showed a lot of courage to get the game back on our terms mid­way through the sec­ond term then it was just an arm wres­tle.”

The Giants lost Ai­dan Corr and Sam Reid to con­cus­sion and Steve Coniglio in the last quar­ter.

Corr fell in the open­ing sec­onds of the match, forc­ing the Giants to play a man down for vir­tu­ally the en­tire match and two down for nearly three quar­ters.

The de­fender fell awk­wardly in a mark­ing con­test in the first play of the match, smash­ing his head into the turf.

It was friendly fire as he tripped over team­mate Phil Davis and tum­bled back­wards.

He lay mo­tion­less for more than a minute as medi­cos as­sessed the level of in­jury be­fore help­ing him off the field.

Reid was added to the ca­su­alty list early in the sec­ond quar­ter when he put his head in the wrong spot mak­ing a tackle on Levi Green­wood. He, too, left the ground as­sisted by train­ers and was ruled out of the game 20 min­utes later.

Coniglio was the last to fall mid­way through the fi­nal quar­ter with what looked to be a wor­ry­ing re­cur­rence of an an­kle in­jury which kept him out for the first five rounds. Josh Kelly was enor­mous for the Giants with 36 pos­ses­sions, in­clud­ing 17 con­tested.

Dy­lan Shiel, Tom Scully and Lachie Whit­field were also big con­trib­u­tors.

Whit­field was play­ing in his first game back af­ter a six-month sus­pen­sion and didn’t miss a beat.

“It was an enor­mous ef­fort for Lachie Whit­field to stay on the ground,” Cameron said.

“We know what he can do but for him to stay on the ground while oth­ers ro­tated was out­stand­ing. Jon Pat­ton’s flex­i­bil­ity to play for­ward and back shone through tonight as well.”

Tay­lor Adams again pro­duced against his old team fin­ish­ing with 30 pos­ses­sions, in­clud­ing 15 con­tested and 10 clear­ances.

The Mag­pies’ small for­ward line caused plenty of headaches for Giants de­fend­ers and Heath Shaw

in par­tic­u­lar, who found him­self in plenty of one-onone con­tests deep in­side the de­fen­sive 50.

“We were good enough, but not for long enough,” Colling­wood coach Nathan Buckley said.

“We got the gap on the score­board early in the game, but we had a re­ally poor sec­ond quar­ter. We gave them in­cen­tive and kept the Giants in­ter­ested and paid the price.”

Jeremy Cameron cel­e­brates with Stephen Coniglio af­ter kick­ing his fifth goal yes­ter­day. Pic­ture: Phil Hill­yard

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.