Con­tainer scheme bun­fight

The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) - - NEWS - LINDA SILMALIS

LA­BOR is tak­ing En­vi­ron­ment Min­is­ter Gabrielle Up­ton to court, to try and force her to re­lease pri­vate emails about the be­lea­guered con­tainer de­posit scheme.

Op­po­si­tion en­vi­ron­ment spokes­woman Penny Sharpe’s at­tempts to get the emails has been re­peat­edly re­buffed by one of Ms Up­ton’s staffers since early last year, so now it is go­ing to the NSW Civil and Ad­min­is­tra­tive Tri­bunal.

Ms Sharpe said the pub­lic had a right to know how many MPs warned the min­is­ter about prob­lems with the scheme be­fore it was im­ple­mented.

Ms Up­ton’s of­fice said such a re­quest was an un­rea­son­able waste of time.

“I know that MPs warned the min­is­ter,” Ms Sharpe said. “This in­for­ma­tion is im­por­tant to un­der­stand those con­cerns.”

The mat­ter has been listed for April 3.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.