MATTY & REG

Reg is ready to bring back biff

The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) - - SPORT -

MATTY Johns has agreed to a new five-year con­tract at Fox Sports in an ex­tended role that could in­clude a Reg Rea­gan come­back on a pod­cast.

Johns and his man­ager John Sin­gle­ton did the deal with Fox Sports’ Head of Tele­vi­sion Steve Craw­ley last week.

He has quit Triple M’s Grill Team to spend more time on his show and other op­por­tu­ni­ties at News Corp. “I had ab­so­lutely no in­ter­est in go­ing any­where else,” Johns said.

“I said to Singo, ‘let’s just go to Fox Sports and get it done’.

“Any­way, we went and sat down with Steve Craw­ley to work it out.

“Singo said to him, ‘I’m the worst man­ager in the world be­cause I’m telling you he doesn’t want to go any­where else. So what are you go­ing to pay us?’

“I love it there. They’ve been great to me and I was never go­ing any­where.”

The deal is said to be worth about $5 mil­lion, mak­ing Johns the net­work’s high­est-paid per­son­al­ity.

Johns’ show broke rat­ings records this year and even forced Chan­nel 9 to shut down the Footy Show af­ter 24 years.

The Reg Rea­gan come­back has been dis­cussed at plan­ning meet­ings for next year. Reg was based on Johns’ fa­ther Gary, who was a player and coach at the Cess­nock Goan­nas, and lar­rikin for­ward Terry Rea­gan.

His “Bring Back the Biff” call is still part of the game’s vo­cab­u­lary.

Johns’ State of Ori­gin pre­views in The Daily Tele­graph are hugely pop­u­lar with the fans. “I don’t know how Reg would go in this po­lit­i­cally cor­rect en­vi­ron­ment,” Johns said.

“We’re think­ing about it. I’m not sure how the mod­ern world would take to Reg. We’ll de­cide in the new year.”

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.