BAD-BOY WIGHT ON’S SHOCK PROMO TION

The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) - - WHAT'S THE -

JACK Wighton’s six-month ban from rugby league is set to end with a shock pro­mo­tion that will see Can­berra’s most con­tro­ver­sial player be­come ar­guably their most im­por­tant.

We’ve been told Wighton will be thrust into the front­line when he makes his re­turn from an NRL-sanc­tioned ban for as­sault, as the Raiders bad-boy is set to make a sur­prise switch to five-eighth.

Wighton is ex­pected to play along­side Ai­dan Sezer in a new-look halves pair­ing that will be out to lead the Raiders to just their sec­ond fi­nals ap­pear­ance in eight years.

Wighton has spent the pre-sea­son train­ing at No 6 and is set to make the switch from full­back for Can­berra’s sea­son opener against the Ti­tans on the Gold Coast.

Nick Cotric played five games in the No 1 jersey last year and would be fron­trun­ner to re­place Wighton, 25.

Brad Abbey is an­other op­tion for the key po­si­tion.

Wighton is in con­tention for the play­mak­ing spot just two months af­ter he avoided jail for an off-field in­ci­dent that earned him the six­month NRL ban.

He was handed a sus­pended two-month jail sen­tence and a $3500 fine in the ACT Mag­is­trates Court in Novem­ber for six charges re­lat­ing to an in­ci­dent out­side a Can­berra night­club last Fe­bru­ary.

Wighton pleaded guilty to as­sault­ing three men out­side the Acad­emy Night­club in an at­tack that was caught on film.

The NRL con­firmed Wighton would be free to make his re­turn in 2019.

“He re­ceived a fine from the game which was ef­fec­tively 10 times what he got in the court of law and he didn’t play again in the en­tire 2018 sea­son so I think his pun­ish­ment is served,’’ NRL chief ex­ec­u­tive Todd Green­berg said.

Pic­ture: Kym Smith

Jack Wighton and Ai­dan Sezer at Raiders train­ing.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.