Star sec­onds from death... but will play

The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) - - FRONT PAGE - IN PERTH

STATE of Ori­gin player Moses Mbye’s life was saved by the Queensland team doctor af­ter he went into ana­phy­lac­tic shock on Fri­day. The Wests Tigers cap­tain was found un­con­scious out­side his ho­tel room door af­ter manag­ing to make an emer­gency call. Only an anti-al­lergy in­jec­tion re­vived him. He is not sure what caused the al­ler­gic re­ac­tion but incredibly, he will play tonight against NSW be­fore a sell­out crowd in Perth.

QUEENSLAND’S Moses Mbye has spo­ken of his hor­ri­fy­ing brush with death af­ter a ho­tel-room col­lapse that has rocked the Ma­roons ahead of Ori­gin II tonight.

Queensland team doctor Matt His­lop saved Mbye’s life af­ter the util­ity went into ana­phy­lac­tic shock on Fri­day morn­ing in a ter­ri­fy­ing or­deal that has stunned the closeknit Ma­roons team.

With­out the quick think­ing of one of Aus­tralia’s lead­ing sports medi­cos, Mbye was told he would be dead.

The near fa­tal­ity rep­re­sents one of the most dis­tress­ing in­ci­dents in State of Ori­gin’s 39-year his­tory.

Ana­phy­laxis is a po­ten­tially lifethreat­en­ing, se­vere al­ler­gic re­ac­tion, usu­ally to foods or in­sects, that can cause death within 15 min­utes.

Incredibly, Mbye has told Queensland coach Kevin Wal­ters he will play in Ori­gin II — just 48 hours af­ter fear­ing he would die.

“The doc po­ten­tially saved my life,” Mbye said last night. “I’m not quite sure how far it could have gone … but he po­ten­tially saved it, yes.”

Queensland hi­er­ar­chy have con­firmed to The Sun­day Tele­graph that they have filed a crit­i­cal in­ci­dent re­port with se­nior man­age­ment at their team ho­tel.

Mbye’s mys­te­ri­ous col­lapse oc­curred about 10.30am on Fri­day dur­ing Queensland’s day off.

Dr His­lop found Mbye slumped on the floor un­con­scious out­side his ho­tel room door af­ter the 25-yearold fa­ther-of-three made an emer­gency call to him, only to pass out within sec­onds.

Car­ry­ing a first-aid kit, His­lop im­me­di­ately used an EpiPen, an an­tial­lergy in­jec­tion de­vice con­tain­ing a man-made ver­sion of adren­a­line to re­vive the stricken Mbye.

The Queensland rookie un­der­stands he had only a few min­utes left to live af­ter his air­ways had closed be­fore Dr His­lop ar­rived on the scene to treat him.

Dr His­lop was stay­ing on the same floor as Mbye and raced to his aid, giv­ing him an in­jec­tion of ep­i­neph­rine to his up­per leg.

Mbye will un­dergo tests af­ter Ori­gin II when he re­turns home to Syd­ney as Queensland doc­tors at­tempt to ex­plain his col­lapse. He suf­fers no al­ler­gies and has never be­fore suf­fered ana­phy­lac­tic shock from any al­lergy-re­lated in­ci­dents.

“I’m not quite sure what hap­pened,” Mbye said. “I had an al­ler­gic re­ac­tion to some­thing. I haven’t pin­pointed yet what it is.

“I have to do some tests when I get back to Syd­ney but it wasn’t the most com­fort­able of sit­u­a­tions.

“I’m not sure what trig­gered it. I have never had an al­ler­gic re­ac­tion be­fore, ever. In 25 years this has never hap­pened to me.”

Mbye was se­verely shaken by the or­deal and spent most of Fri­day rest­ing in his room un­der close su­per­vi­sion af­ter briefly at­tend­ing an NRL func­tion for the of­fi­cial launch of Ori­gin’s his­toric de­but match in Perth.

The Sun­day Tele­graph spot­ted Mbye walk­ing around the ho­tel with team­mates in a jovial mood just min­utes be­fore his near-death ex­pe­ri­ence.

It is un­der­stood Mbye woke up on Fri­day with flu-like symptoms. He later had break­fast and or­ange juice from the ho­tel’s buf­fet be­fore head­ing up­stairs to his room, where his con­di­tion be­gan to de­te­ri­o­rate.

Sens­ing some­thing wasn’t right, Mbye called Dr His­lop af­ter strug­gled to dial the num­ber. When His­lop an­swered, he told the Ma­roons medico he was strug­gling to breathe, prompt­ing Dr His­lop to rush to Mbye’s room. It’s un­der­stood Mbye made his way to the door and man­aged to open it. At that point he col­lapsed, prompt­ing Dr His­lop to ad­min­is­ter the $600 EpiPen de­vice which saved Mbye’s life.

“It came on pretty quick as I made my way up the lift,” Mbye said.

“I had the stan­dard signs that peo­ple say when they get an al­ler­gic re­ac­tion. I started get­ting itchy, I started swelling and wheez­ing. For­tu­nately, we had a good med­i­cal team on board to get on top of it quickly.”

De­spite feel­ing weak for most of Fri­day, Mbye trained with his team­mates at yes­ter­day’s cap­tain’s run and is adamant he will play his se­cond Ori­gin game be­fore a sell­out crowd of 60,000 at Perth’s Op­tus Sta­dium.

The do c po­ten­tially saved my life ... I’ m not far quite sure ho w it could ha ve gone. Moses Mbye

Moses Mbye, who has made a full re­cov­ery af­ter a doctor used an EpiPen to re­vive the Queens­lan­der.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.