‘ Tay Tay’ scratched from the Cup

The Sunday Telegraph (Sydney) - - NEWS - BRIANA DOMJEN

POP su­per­star Tay­lor Swift has can­celled her up­com­ing Mel­bourne Cup ap­pear­ance, fol­low­ing weeks of in­tense back­lash from an­i­mal ac­tivists.

The 29-year-old cited “sched­ul­ing is­sues” for the de­ci­sion.

In a ma­jor coup for the fa­mous horser­ace, Swift had been set to per­form two songs from her sev­enth al­bum, Lover, on Novem­ber 5 for the tens of thou­sands gath­ered at Flem­ing­ton Race­course. How­ever, pro­moter Michael Gudin­ski yes­ter­day re­vealed the star had pulled the pin on her gig.

“Re­gret­tably, Tay­lor is no longer able to make it to this year’s Mel­bourne Cup,” a state­ment said. “Changes to her Asian promo sched­ule have made it lo­gis­ti­cally im­pos­si­ble for her to be here. To all of Tay­lor’s fans, we hope to see Tay­lor in Aus­tralia in 2020.”

The abrupt can­cel­la­tion comes af­ter an ex­treme cam­paign by an­i­mal ac­tivists who be­lieved “Tay Tay” was putting money be­fore com­pas­sion by ac­cept­ing the gig.

Rac­ing of­fi­cials said a new per­former would be an­nounced soon.

Tay­lor Swift.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Australia

© PressReader. All rights reserved.