Safety warning after toddler escapes death in window fall
A TWO-YEAR-OLD boy remains in a serious but stable condition in hospital after falling from a third-storey apartment window in Sydney’s north yesterday.
Paramedics arrived at Wharf Rd, Gladesville about 1.15pm following reports the child had fallen six metres from an apartment window onto concrete.
He was treated at the scene for a fractured leg and other minor injuries before being taken to the Children’s Hospital at Westmead.
A woman was also taken to hospital suffering shock.
The window from which the child fell was fitted with a flyscreen that had became dislodged, a witness said.
A bed was also understood to have been near the window.
Last Saturday a four-yearold girl was taken to the same hospital in a critical condition after falling from an apartment window in Hornsby.
NSW building laws and codes mandate child-resistant safety devices for all windows that are more than two metres above the ground.
These devices are supposed to lock window openings at a maximum of 12.5 centimetres.
Australian Medical Association NSW president Dr Kean-Seng Lim said the two incidents acted as timely reminders to parents to keep climbable objects, such as beds, away from windows.
“Flyscreens are not an adequate protection against a child falling out of a window as quite frequently they can look like a barrier and give a sense of false security when they will provide next to no protection,” Dr Lim said.
Paramedics on the scene.